Basic HSM Express Beginner Questions

Talk about all things CNC
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Basic HSM Express Beginner Questions

Post by WillAdams » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:30 am

I suspect at this point you may need to try a fresh, sharp endmill.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Athaidesign

Post by Athaidesign » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:22 pm

alright it's a new day I'm ready try again with fresh bits and proper cut settings.

However, I still do not see the option to add tabs/bridges in HSM express, can anyone elaborate on this option for me please?

Thanks

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:31 am

I ran things through G Wizard (6061, carbide, 1/8" diameter, 2 flutes, full width slotting, conservative setting)

I get 26,000 rpm - which is close to the 27,000 max rpm, and 11.46 IPM

Surface speed is lower than standard (853SFM) but I don't think that makes much difference.

The chip is only 0.0002 at this feed rate, which could be a problem.

Stepping up to 26.5 IPM brings the chip up to 0.0005, which might work better. It might be worth running some experimental cuts at different (faster) feed rates to see if it cleans up the cut.

The "ragged edges" look odd to me, but I have no idea what might be causing them.

Supposedly, HSMXpress for Solid Works and Fusion360 have the same guts. In Fusion360, when I use 2D Contour, on the "Geometry" tab, there is a triangle roll down "Tabs" with a check box where I can turn them on, set size and spacing, etc. But it looks like full blown HSM is too "cool" for such amateur things. I found this video that discussed creating tabs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D61BClLApx8

Athaidesign

Post by Athaidesign » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:33 am

Finally got a decent cut

6ipm .2mm depth

I was afraid of running faster because I did not want to break another endmill, I'll try again tho at a higher speed. I'm curious to find out how fast I can run my 1/16 4 flute end mill at without breaking it.

TomDChi wrote:I ran things through G Wizard (6061, carbide, 1/8" diameter, 2 flutes, full width slotting, conservative setting)

I get 26,000 rpm - which is close to the 27,000 max rpm, and 11.46 IPM

Surface speed is lower than standard (853SFM) but I don't think that makes much difference.

The chip is only 0.0002 at this feed rate, which could be a problem.

Stepping up to 26.5 IPM brings the chip up to 0.0005, which might work better. It might be worth running some experimental cuts at different (faster) feed rates to see if it cleans up the cut.

The "ragged edges" look odd to me, but I have no idea what might be causing them.

Supposedly, HSMXpress for Solid Works and Fusion360 have the same guts. In Fusion360, when I use 2D Contour, on the "Geometry" tab, there is a triangle roll down "Tabs" with a check box where I can turn them on, set size and spacing, etc. But it looks like full blown HSM is too "cool" for such amateur things. I found this video that discussed creating tabs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D61BClLApx8

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:56 am

The tabs option in Fusion360 only seems to appear when using a 2D Contour operation. If you use a 2D Adaptive Contour, you do not get the option to add tabs.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

Athaidesign

Post by Athaidesign » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Getting pretty decent results, but is there a way to improve the edges so it doesn't have so much burring?
I'm guessing adding multiple finishing passes? How would I calculate distance for this?

15ipm across
1ipm plunge
.02mm depth per layer

1/8 Carbide End mill 2 Flute

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:29 pm

Looks like you are using conventional milling. try using climb, I get much better results.

kayaker

Post by kayaker » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Fablicator wrote:Looks like you are using conventional milling. try using climb, I get much better results.
The direction of the machining in the video clip is definitely climb milling.
Take Care,

Jim. . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever; "when everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking!"