Shapeoko 3 - Sparkfun Edition!

Talk about all things CNC
edwardrford

Shapeoko 3 - Sparkfun Edition!

Post by edwardrford » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi All - Just wanted to clear a couple of things up on the S3 - Sparkfun Edition

This is a joint project that's been in the works since early this year - Sparkfun wanted to get into CNC and we were really excited to be a part of that. We decided to make them special Shapeoko mechanical kits painted in their famous Sparkfun Red color, which they could use to bundle with some of their in-house products - They are selling both the mechanical kit and their version of a full kit, which they're calling - the Shapeoko Deluxe Kit.

The mechanical kit is everything *except* the electronics - all of the structural pieces, the toolkit, a sharpie, and a serial tag. The only difference with the serial tag is that their tags do not have numbers - so I guess they're more machine badges than serial tags.

The deluxe kit is the mechanical kit + their version of the electronics kit. Their electronics kit consists of
- 4 x NEMA23 stepper motors (same specs as the one's we ship with the stock machine) but no connectors
- 1 x StepOko control board - this is similar to the Carbide Motion board that ships with the stock kit except it has 3 stepper drivers, and uses screw terminals instead of molex connectors. Both ship with the same version of GRBL - and both will be supported by Carbide Motion.
- 1 x Power Supply
- 1 x Enclosure - a modified version of their Big Red Box
- Power and USB Cables and a toggle Switch (on/off)

We are really excited about working with Sparkun! We at Carbide3D are going to concentrate on the Stock machines (Nomad, Shapeoko, the Larger Shapeokos, and future machines) while sparkfun has the resources to support some of the 'side' projects that the Shapeoko platform is perfect for.

Sparkfun has their own forum, so I suppose some of their customers will hang out there - but we've let them know that they're welcome in our forum as well!

Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Damin69

Re: Shapeoko 3 - Sparkfun Edition!

Post by Damin69 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:17 am

Thanks for putting this out there. Sounds like a great adventure. Congrats on the combine collaboration to get your machine out to many more.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:01 pm

This is great, more users and more resources

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:48 pm

I just bought some red 3D printer filament, so I can offer red limit switch mounts for Sparkfun machines. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

dogsop

Post by dogsop » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:49 am

My Sparkfun kit arrived today. Sadly it is a Christmas present so I'm not allowed to open it yet.

jchappdx

Post by jchappdx » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:12 pm

My understanding is that the Sparkfun Stepoko board will be controllable with Carbide Motion.
See the official announcement here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7190.

I think if the Stepoko is controllable view Carbide Motion then it can also run output from Carbide Create.
Is this assumption correct?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:17 pm

It's reasonable, and it matches the public statements. Whether or no something will come up to interfere is the question. It's just software though, so it really ought to be workable.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cncnavigator

Post by cncnavigator » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:46 am

I bought the deluxe kit and it looks great, however, I cant get the motors to respond to the circuit board. please help

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)