Carbide motion is costing me money!! HELP!

Talk about all things CNC
tomb18

Carbide motion is costing me money!! HELP!

Post by tomb18 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi,
I have some issues here! I'm cutting aluminum and have run into crashes in carbide motion when a job is paused for tool changes etc.
First, how do you set the Z axis after a tool change????

Second, so I broke the job up into three. I use 3 different tools. So I run the first job and that's ok
At the end I stop the motor to change the tool and boom! Carbide motion crashes! Sometimes, not always. So I can see the current coordinate of the spindle. But I now need to close carbide motion and restart it. How do I enter the last coordinates????
My job has crashed and the piece of aluminum will be ruined since I cannot start over unless I set the machine.
Thanks

AnonymousPerson

Re: Carbide motion is costing me money!! HELP!

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:14 pm

k, if you have the coordinates from when it's crashed, I think you should be ok.

eg:

Code: Select all

X=150
Y=85
Z=-15
If - without moving the spindle at all - you restart Carbide Motion, zero the coordinates right away without any moving anything.

Then you should be able to jog the spindle to the exact opposite of the coordinates you saved, to end up at the actual zero spot you started out with.

eg, from the above example coordinates, jog X= -150, Y= - 85, Z= +15. (Probably start with the Z axis first, to make sure your tool doesn't collide with anything)

That should mean you can rezero things on that spot, and redo the job.

In my head that's sounding ok... but take it with a grain of salt and it might be better to wait for other (more experienced) people's thoughts on this too. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:24 pm

I've had the same issues and I'm sorry to say that I never came up with a good solution and ended up scrapping a nice piece of maple. The disconnects are very frustrating and I'm really hoping that Edward and Carbide are looking for a long term fix.

I'm thinking the only way to mitigate until a permanent fix is found is to purchase a limit switch kit. In the case of a crash you could then re-home to ensure you can restart the job and cut the same path.

Depending on how critical the job is if you still have your start origin (center) or edge you may be able to get very close just resetting and starting the job again. I've had it work once like this.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Sounds like your USB is disconnecting when you power off your spindle/router, which seems to be a common occurrence with the Carbide controller board.

AnonymousPerson's suggestion may work OK, but the position tends to change somewhat on reset as the motors re-energize.

It could salvage the current job, but I would make/buy end stops and a probe for future projects.

They allow you so set a repeatable zero position from which you can resume jobs. Additionally, having a conductive probe will allow you to set tool heights on your aluminum work piece very easily.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Shapeoko 3 #516

tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks all!!!
AnonymousPersons suggestions worked (actually did it before reading it) since I did not need to turn off the controller, just restart carbide motion.

It's now running fine. Saved the job. It takes about 3 hours for this to run so It's pretty long if I have to start over not to mention it's $12 each time!

Any recommendations for limit switches?
Thanks!

Estlcam

Post by Estlcam » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi,

if you run into trouble or need to try new things:
Get some extruded styrofoam (e.g. "Roofmate") from your local home improvement center and use this for testing instead of aluminum.
This stuff is cheap, extremely easy to machine and will not break tools if something goes wrong.

Christian
Estlcam CAM and Arduino UNO CNC controller: www.estlcam.com

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Shapeoko 3 #516

tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks all.
Here is the job! 5.711" diameter 90 tooth XL pulley.
Although the tool was technically too large for the teeth (I used a 1/16" end mill) the belt engages perfectly.
Only one wasted piece of aluminum to get here (lots of MDF though....!) Used 2 inches / minute, 1 inch plunge, 13000 RPM and 0.02 depth. Took about 2 hours for the teeth.
Attachments
gear.jpg
gear.jpg (360.04 KiB) Viewed 2141 times

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:42 pm

Which grade aluminium is that? Going to anodise it? :)
Shapeoko 3 #516