G10 Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber Sheets

Talk about all things CNC
kerrycorcoran

G10 Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber Sheets

Post by kerrycorcoran » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:41 am

Anyone have a good source for G10 or Carbon Fiber sheets? Looking for .060" (1.5mm) and .125" (3mm).

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks
Kerry

GoSpeedRacer

Re: G10 Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber Sheets

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:48 am

McMaster Carr is good for g10 and cheap on shipping. When your ready to buy bigger quantities I like eplastics. The material is cheap when you buy 10+ but shipping is a bit crazy. Still cheaper than McMaster tho and I like the material better

If it matters, McMaster had black blue and natural, eplastics doesn't have blue
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (457.28 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:17 am

I don't have a cheap source. I was looking for some carbon sheet the other day, considering building a new machine around it because it routes beautifully. Elected to go with aluminum instead (stock car steel has aluminum shipped for less than onlinemetals or any other supplier carries it without shipping). Rock West Composites has carbon sheet stock at reasonable prices. I say reasonable because I priced laying up the carbon myself and the panels are the same price or less and come ready to rock n'roll. Hobbycity has thin carbon fiber for cheap.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

clynad

Post by clynad » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Have you guys given any thought to making your own sheets, in the same way building your own cnc is cheaper and readily customizable (colors,weeves, etc).

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:30 pm

I have never reviewed the process to make my own sheets. I wonder how complicated or easy it is?

clynad

Post by clynad » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:06 pm

For really detailed infomation sites like composite central are real friendly to new persons interested in the craft, but off the top of my head i would say:

Choose your fabric glass, carbon, kevlar or a hybrid any two of these above. Some fabics can be purchased colored or you can paint them with a tinted clear after the fact.

Then choose your resin if strength is you main concern look to the epoxies, if its cost then stick with polyesters or you can go middle of the road with a vinylester for a balance of strengt and price.

To get the best surface finish you want to have a perfectly straight surface to start with i would recomend a piece of glass sized a inch or two larger than the sheets you intend on making.

Where ever you get your resin should sell or be able to recomend a compatible sealer/ release agent. As for equipment a vacuume pump/generator and some hoses.

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:59 pm

there are special end mills made for cutting composite materials also. superior tool service makes end mills for composites http://superiortoolservice.com/tools/to ... osite.html , I imagine solid carbide bits wouldn't have a problem cutting most composites as long as it's not heating enough to melt the resin. but you are cutting glass and or carbon and I could see that dulling a blade over time. I worked with composites on aircraft for a decade or so and hated the way holes always frayed around the edge and where a pain to countersink.

I haven't cut any with my machine but do plan on making phenolic plastic (basically same process as any composite with canvas, burlap, or any other fabric) and i'll be cutting a lot of that.

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:55 pm

I just used standard 2 flute carbide end mills and had no issue machining carbon plate, though I ordered some special bits for this from Think and Tinker (precisebits.com).

I added up the cost for just the fabric to laminate 1/4" plates and I couldn't do it for less than dragonplate.com, and I already have the resin, vacuum setups, glass etc. I ended up going with 1/4" aluminum for my router upgrade at $50 shipped for a 12" x 36" 6061-T651 plate from stockcarsteel.com, though the machining won't be very friendly.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:39 pm

samc99us wrote:I just used standard 2 flute carbide end mills and had no issue machining carbon plate, though I ordered some special bits for this from Think and Tinker (precisebits.com).

I added up the cost for just the fabric to laminate 1/4" plates and I couldn't do it for less than dragonplate.com, and I already have the resin, vacuum setups, glass etc. I ended up going with 1/4" aluminum for my router upgrade at $50 shipped for a 12" x 36" 6061-T651 plate from stockcarsteel.com, though the machining won't be very friendly.
as long as you keep your bit cool aluminum is no problem. friction and heat is what will get you.

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:49 pm

Machining aluminum will be a lot friendlier than composite. The lack of dust makes it my preferred material.