G10 Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber Sheets

Talk about all things CNC
samc99us

Re: G10 Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber Sheets

Post by samc99us » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:27 pm

Ok,so what feeds, speeds and DOC are ya'll machining aluminum at?

I have the tooling and significantly upgraded Shaepoko 2 but in my experience it still isn't rigid enough for machining aluminum (compared with the work I've done on an actual Bridgeport, Hurco milling center, waterjets etc.). I know you can't compare Shapeoko stiffness with machines costing >10x but I just find it hard to believe folks prefer aluminum over composites from a machining standpoint. Then again I have full dust collection and machine XPS, MDF, corian and other plastics on the regular.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:45 pm

Thanks will. Workholding was mentioned in one of the carbide 3D threads, something I need to look at more closely.

I used my machine to drill some #21 holes in aluminum plate. 62 holes to be exact. I used a carbide bit from precisebits, set the router to 2, and feed rate of 2 in/min, wd40 for coolant. I could see the flex. It was quite bad on some cuts. When I go to drill the holes for me new plates, I'm going to do the following:

1) use a centering bit (http://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/carbide ... x,McMaster has them as well for similar pricing, the inexpensive ones on amazon are cheap, crappy tools), drill at like 0.5 IPM down 1/16".

2) go slow with a stub drill or the precisebits drill.

I think carbon will have similar issues with hole drilling.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:35 pm

clynad wrote:For really detailed infomation sites like composite central are real friendly to new persons interested in the craft, but off the top of my head i would say:

Choose your fabric glass, carbon, kevlar or a hybrid any two of these above. Some fabics can be purchased colored or you can paint them with a tinted clear after the fact.

Then choose your resin if strength is you main concern look to the epoxies, if its cost then stick with polyesters or you can go middle of the road with a vinylester for a balance of strengt and price.

To get the best surface finish you want to have a perfectly straight surface to start with i would recomend a piece of glass sized a inch or two larger than the sheets you intend on making.

Where ever you get your resin should sell or be able to recomend a compatible sealer/ release agent. As for equipment a vacuume pump/generator and some hoses.
My shop is built around composites. I have rolls and rolls of fiberglass, carbon, Kevlar, gallons of epoxy, two vacuum systems, hot boxes etc. I can't layup a solid carbon 1/4" plate for what dragonplate will sell you one for. The raw carbon fiber costs too much, and I have cheap sources.