For better or worse

Talk about all things CNC
RaymondOverman

For better or worse

Post by RaymondOverman » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:12 pm

After having some electrical difficulties building relays into a surge protector, I decided to go the commercial route and have one of these on order.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WV7 ... ge_o00_s00

Anyone had experience? If not, I'll update this thread once I have it in line with my spindle and vac.
SO2 / NEMA 23s / 5 axis SainSmart BOB and Drivers / DW660 Spindle / Rotary Axis / Spindle-Vac Relay / LimSW / Fender Wells / Drilled and Tapped 1"x8TPI Waste Board

edwan

Re: For better or worse

Post by edwan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Looks like an easy way to turn on the router and vac from the PC. Please post how it works for you.
S3 #1105

Picengraver

Post by Picengraver » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 am

I just installed one, and it works great, so far. Much easier to use, and safer, than my old way of just using a solid state relay wired to an outlet socket.
Happy New Year All
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:04 pm

That looks like a great solution!
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Could someone write up a layman’s description of what this does, how it does it, and what would be the use case w/ a CNC machine?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:23 pm

I have one of these too!

@Will - The surge protector shown has a relay built in. The device gives you an easy way to control your spindle (or any AC powered device) via gcode - WITHOUT you having to mess with AC wires / voltage. On the side of the surge protector there are two screw terminals (green). The idea is to wire the screw down terminals to the 'spindle on' pin and GND on the carbide motion controller (or any controller for that matter). You would use regular hookup wire - like 18 or 20ga - because the relay is only using 5v to trigger on/off

On the device, two of the outlets are wired as 'normally on' and two of the outlets are wired as 'normally off'.

When you issue M3/M5 command, the relay will flip and the Normally Off will turn ON and your spindle will turn on! Also - because there are two outlets that paired together - you cold plug in a small vacuum - which would then turn on at the same time your spindle turned on.

Here is what I don't like about the product: None of the outlets are independent of the relay. It's a single circuit - so you can really only use 2 outlets of the 4. I wanted to plug my machine's power supply into one of the outlets, my computer into one of the outlets and the spindle into one of the outlets, and a vacuum but that doesn't work because when the relay flips - the 'normally on' outlets turn off - and the 'normally off' outlets turn on. Otherwise - it's great and I highly recommend it.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks for the explanation Edward. Exactly what I and I bet a bunch of other people are looking for to stop having to manually turn on and off the router.

Ordered and on its way.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

RaymondOverman

Post by RaymondOverman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Works as expected. My controller had problem with the relay so I bypassed it and soldered directly to the board to get it to work. It turns the spindle and vac on and off with the G-Code at the beginning, end and tool changes for jobs.
SO2 / NEMA 23s / 5 axis SainSmart BOB and Drivers / DW660 Spindle / Rotary Axis / Spindle-Vac Relay / LimSW / Fender Wells / Drilled and Tapped 1"x8TPI Waste Board

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:45 am

I don't want to divert off onto another topic, but am I right that SuperPID can fully turn the "spindle" (trim router) off and on through g code when wired properly?

(But I've bookmarked this gizmo as something that looks like a good value for other uses.)

dvdsnyd

Post by dvdsnyd » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:18 am

edwardrford wrote:I have one of these too!

@Will - The surge protector shown has a relay built in. The device gives you an easy way to control your spindle (or any AC powered device) via gcode - WITHOUT you having to mess with AC wires / voltage. On the side of the surge protector there are two screw terminals (green). The idea is to wire the screw down terminals to the 'spindle on' pin and GND on the carbide motion controller (or any controller for that matter). You would use regular hookup wire - like 18 or 20ga - because the relay is only using 5v to trigger on/off

On the device, two of the outlets are wired as 'normally on' and two of the outlets are wired as 'normally off'.

When you issue M3/M5 command, the relay will flip and the Normally Off will turn ON and your spindle will turn on! Also - because there are two outlets that paired together - you cold plug in a small vacuum - which would then turn on at the same time your spindle turned on.

Here is what I don't like about the product: None of the outlets are independent of the relay. It's a single circuit - so you can really only use 2 outlets of the 4. I wanted to plug my machine's power supply into one of the outlets, my computer into one of the outlets and the spindle into one of the outlets, and a vacuum but that doesn't work because when the relay flips - the 'normally on' outlets turn off - and the 'normally off' outlets turn on. Otherwise - it's great and I highly recommend it.

-Edward

Thanks for the explanation Edward,
Could you or anyone else define which pin is the "spindle on" pin on the Carbide Motion board?
I'm not seeing anything labeled such on the Carbide Motion 2.1 annotated pictures I've seen.
Thanks,
Dave