For better or worse

Talk about all things CNC
RoguePirin

Re: For better or worse

Post by RoguePirin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:25 am

dvdsnyd wrote:Could you or anyone else define which pin is the "spindle on" pin on the Carbide Motion board?
Sure, I have a thread where I reverse engineered the controller board. It shows the pin you need, as well as a link on page 2 describing how to recompile grbl and which settings need to be changed to use the "spindle on" pin.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

dvdsnyd

Post by dvdsnyd » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:47 am

RoguePirin wrote:
dvdsnyd wrote:Could you or anyone else define which pin is the "spindle on" pin on the Carbide Motion board?
Sure, I have a thread where I reverse engineered the controller board. It shows the pin you need, as well as a link on page 2 describing how to recompile grbl and which settings need to be changed to use the "spindle on" pin.
Thanks for the quick response.
I understand that the grbl config.h file needs to be modified from the links provided, as well as that the board would need to be recompiled to actually make the changes. However, neither of the links you provide go into any detail about the process for recompiling the board. Could you elaborate?
Thanks again!
Dave

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:15 am

dvdsnyd wrote:Thanks for the quick response.
I understand that the grbl config.h file needs to be modified from the links provided, as well as that the board would need to be recompiled to actually make the changes. However, neither of the links you provide go into any detail about the process for recompiling the board. Could you elaborate?
Thanks again!
Dave
Since grbl is in the public domain, you can follow the directions posted on the grbl wiki. The first tool suggested, Arduino IDE, will update the Carbide Motion controller with the newly compiled grbl code once the compile is complete. I have not yet recompiled it myself, as I am still building my Shapeoko 3. However, I plan to follow the grbl wiki when I do.

NOTE: One change to the config.h that I have not seen posted anywhere yet is to make sure you change the defaults to the Shapeoko 3 (#define DEFAULTS_SHAPEOKO_3 at the top of the config.h file) for the Carbide Motion controller.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Grbl 0.8 and earlier is a permissive MIT license, 0.9 and later GPL
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Good catch, Will. By "public domain" I just meant that the source and resources are available online, as opposed to having to contact Carbide 3D for the source. I should be more careful with the terms I use.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:51 am

Sorry for not getting to this quicker - there is no need to re-flash anything!

On the IoT supply, tie the green terminals into the PWM pin and the GND pin.

To turn the relay on, issue a M3S10000 command
To turn the relay off, issue a M5 command
IoT_hookup.png
IoT_hookup.png (379.79 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

krtwood

Post by krtwood » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:12 am

edwardrford wrote:Sorry for not getting to this quicker - there is no need to re-flash anything!

IoT_hookup.png
In the link posted by RoguePirin, he says "I did verify continuity between the D11 pin on the ARDUINO_ISP header with the PWM pin on the right side of the controller" Does that mean we could alternatively use that header? There's a ground pin right next to it so it would seem a 2 pin connector (same as the limit switches?) could be used there without any soldering. I'm all about not soldering.

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:24 pm

edwardrford wrote:Sorry for not getting to this quicker - there is no need to re-flash anything!

This is true, depending on your situation. Sorry if my responses confuse the issue.

For my particular situation, I will connect my router to a SuperPID. I need 2 separate signals: a PWM signal that sets the desired RPM speed of my router (I am bypassing the 7-position speed switch on the DeWALT), and a signal that turns the router on/off. If I set the PWM value to be 0V, it will not turn off my router (the SuperPID will just run it at the minimum of 5000 RPM). For my situation, I need a separate signal for on/off; hence the need to recompile grbl and re-purpose the D13 pin.

If you are just using the relay to turn the router/spindle on/off, and you are not controlling the RPMs of your router/spindle with the Carbide Motion controller board, then you can just use the PWM signal as Edward indicates. By sending the M3S10000 command, you are setting the PWM to be at 100%, which would give you 5V and trigger the relay.

RaymondOverman

Post by RaymondOverman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:59 pm

My controller doesn't look anything like that. ;)
SO2 / NEMA 23s / 5 axis SainSmart BOB and Drivers / DW660 Spindle / Rotary Axis / Spindle-Vac Relay / LimSW / Fender Wells / Drilled and Tapped 1"x8TPI Waste Board