Just finished my new base.

Talk about all things CNC
joebananas10

Just finished my new base.

Post by joebananas10 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:10 am

I finished my new base tonight. I replaced the 2 pieces of mdf with a single sheet of 3/4" plywood, then added five Shop Fox D2724 24-Inch T-Slot Tracks. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.
IMG_20151230_194605.jpg
IMG_20151230_194605.jpg (506.06 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

Knotty_Dawg

Re: Just finished my new base.

Post by Knotty_Dawg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:25 pm

Looks good!
Just picked up a sheet of 3/4 MDF and was thinking of doing something similar.

TomO

Post by TomO » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:09 am

joebananas10 wrote:I finished my new base tonight. I replaced the 2 pieces of mdf with a single sheet of 3/4" plywood, then added five Shop Fox D2724 24-Inch T-Slot Tracks. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.
IMG_20151230_194605.jpg
Great idea. I have considered doing something similar. I look forward to hearing how it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baremeg55

Post by Baremeg55 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:39 am

joebananas10 wrote:I finished my new base tonight. I replaced the 2 pieces of mdf with a single sheet of 3/4" plywood, then added five Shop Fox D2724 24-Inch T-Slot Tracks. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.
Joe,

Looks nice! Exactly what I was getting ready to do, except I am planning on using T-Track from Rockler.

What did you do below the rails and V-Wheels, rout the 3/4" ply back to 1/2" to allow clearance? Any reason in particular you used ply? I'm trying to decide between Baltic birch ply or MDF.

joebananas10

Post by joebananas10 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:31 am

Baremeg55 wrote:What did you do below the rails and V-Wheels, rout the 3/4" ply back to 1/2" to allow clearance? Any reason in particular you used ply? I'm trying to decide between Baltic birch ply or MDF.
Exactly, I routed it down to 1/2". I used the plywood because I had a nice looking scrap piece lying around that fit the job.

sjj47

Post by sjj47 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:38 pm

I just picked up some T-track from Orange Aluminum and have been considering the same issues. Ply would certainly be better than MDF for holding the t-track screws. OTOH MDF is much flatter.

My worry about ply is - because it isn't as flat as MDF - I'd have to start every job by tramming the surface of the workpiece. :(

Or am I wrong?

Another issue - in this arrangement with the T-tracks in the baseboard, I assume I'll have to clamp the workpiece and a piece of wasteboard (e.g. 1/4" MDF) to the baseboard if the job cuts all the way through the workpiece anywhere. Right?
--------------------------------
Shapeoko 3 # 0761 - DW611 - Limit switches - probe
Current tool chains: Inkscape > MakerCAM > UGS | bCNC & F-Engrave > UGS | bCNC

joebananas10

Post by joebananas10 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:42 pm

sjj47 wrote:I just picked up some T-track from Orange Aluminum and have been considering the same issues. Ply would certainly be better than MDF for holding the t-track screws. OTOH MDF is much flatter.
MDF would be fine if you ran the t-track mounting screws all the way thru as i did. I have nuts and washers on the bottom side to hold the t-track securely. I just like the look of plywood better than MDF.
sjj47 wrote:My worry about ply is - because it isn't as flat as MDF - I'd have to start every job by tramming the surface of the workpiece. :(
Or am I wrong?
Another issue - in this arrangement with the T-tracks in the baseboard, I assume I'll have to clamp the workpiece and a piece of wasteboard (e.g. 1/4" MDF) to the baseboard if the job cuts all the way through the workpiece anywhere. Right?
My plywood was pretty flat but I do use a thin piece of waste MDF and that takes care of both of those issues. Also, as a precaution, when I'm cutting through the workpiece I zero my tool to the bottom of the workpiece instead of the top. That way if and when I do cut into the wasteboard it's very minor but in most cases it rarely touches it.

If I were to make another one I wouldn't put a track down the middle. I'd add a sixth and space them all so the two in the middle would go along the sides of the middle under-carriage bar.

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Looks good!

I used a double thickness of 3/4 MDF glued together and just ran machine screws into it. Of course with the stock base you lose a bunch of clearance that way.

As for machining into the waste board, just put a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 MDF under the workpiece and mill into that. No reason your work piece needs to sit right on the waste board...
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts