Fasten or attach

Talk about all things CNC
kerrycorcoran

Fasten or attach

Post by kerrycorcoran » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Okay, just finished putting together my S03 and all went very well. One motor lead was broken and was also missing to screws. Reached out to Edward and he immediately shipped out the relpacement parts.

Was able to run the Shapeoko test job (with pen) this morning and turned out perfect.

Next step, want to mill some actual material, ordering some G10 sheets to build a DIY drone. Anyway, how are folks attaching the material to the bed? Should I plan that in my milling I will be damaging the waste board that shipped with the S03?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerry

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Fasten or attach

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:25 pm

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Workholding

Not many people have used a spoil board — it’s hard to give up the Z-axis height.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Chris314

Post by Chris314 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm guessing you'll be using thin g10 (<4mm or thinner), I would buy some thin 1/4 or 1/2' MDF (MDF is ideal because it should be flatter than most readily available materials at lowes/homedepot) for use as a temporary sacrificial board. Use a spray adhesive (3M makes a good one, super 77), and use this to bind the two sheets together. This way when you're doing the final profile milling pass the piece will remain attached to the MDF below instead of getting knocked loose. More professional outfits tend to use vacuum tables for this. Mill 1 to 2mm past the g10 into the sacrificial MDF. Also make sure you research the proper endmills; from what I understand G10 requires endmills that are specific to that material, I believe singular flute?

GoSpeedRacer

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:52 am

I only cut g10. I use a mdf waste board and double side tape my material down. My first cuts are just the holes, then I place screws thru into the waste board on opposite corners of my pieces. Then I cut my cutouts and outlines last. The tape gives you a little buffer so you don't need to cut into the waste board as far at least. Never had a piece slip on me since screwing down corners.