Dings in Makerslide Y-Axis - How bad is this?

Talk about all things CNC
etxbkst

Dings in Makerslide Y-Axis - How bad is this?

Post by etxbkst » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:36 am

Long story short, I sold my ShapeOko on eBay. The jerk buyer received the package, opened it, decided he didn't want to assemble it, then just threw the 1M Y rails in the box unprotected (luckily he hadn't unwrapped the rest of the parts). He returned the package to UPS and "refused" it. He claimed he didn't order it, so UPS shipped it back to me on my dime. Of course the Y rails have dings in them, and one of the end plates is bent to hell. The largest ding is 1/8" wide by maybe .1mm deep. I was wondering how badly this compromises things. Do I need to buy new rails or can I get away with running it as is?

LTEPM

Re: Dings in Makerslide Y-Axis - How bad is this?

Post by LTEPM » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:11 am

Without photos its difficult to assess. Are the dings on the V rail? When you roll a wheel over the damage can you feel anything or notice a change in rolling resistance?

The wheel may ride on an Un-damaged area or it may roll on a damaged area. You may be able to orient the rail to minimize impact to operation.

Can you file a claim or dispute with the auction service? I always take photos of how the items are packaged before I ship. for auction based sales if there is ever a dispute.

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:19 am

I haven't completely reassembled it yet, but yes the dings are in the v-rail itself. As for filing a dispute, apparently this buyer has pulled similar antics before (discovered this after reading the feedback he left for other sellers and their replies), and so he knows how to game the system. He knew he lost his buyer protection by refusing the package, so he went straight to PayPal saying he didn't have the item (because he refused it!). The refunded him almost immediately and closed the case. Anyway, I do have photos and I've appealed the case to PayPal. I at least want the cost of shipping and the damaged rails refunded back to me. Ebay's hands are tied because he bypassed them completely and went to paypal. At least I've been assured that if the asshole leaves me negative feedback it will be removed, and both eBay and PayPal are investigating him for filing too many claims.

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:31 am

Damage to the v-rail can be repaired by removing any aluminum around the damaged area that is sticking out and creating a bump due to the impact, and then filling in the gap with JB Weld or similar epoxy product. You can use a sharp hobby knife to cut the damaged aluminum out, or use a small file, or even sandpaper. Once the JB Weld is cured you can sand it to the profile of the v-rail with 600 grit sandpaper glued to any very flat block (I think I actually used a flat metal ruler). 600 grit with a little water for lubrication won't eat into the anodized layer of the aluminum no matter how hard you try, but it will wear down the JB Weld fairly quickly.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Also check the Makerslides for straightness.

And don't forget to talk to UPS about him and how trhey handled it.
The time to 'refuse' a package is when its delivered, and BEFORE it has been opened.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.