Cutting Size & Carbide Create

Talk about all things CNC
kerrycorcoran

Cutting Size & Carbide Create

Post by kerrycorcoran » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:25 am

I am attempting to load a DXF (hoping to cut out my first project) and was setting the S3 up in Carbide. When attempting to set the X & Y Stock limits I received the following error.

I am trying to set 425mmx425mmx75mm; as per the specs identified on the Carbide S3 page.

Hopefully I am missing something simple.

GoSpeedRacer

Re: Cutting Size & Carbide Create

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:34 am

Subtract the diameter of your cutter? To cut a 1" square with a 1/8 bit, the movement of the router would be 1 1/8" (my math may be wrong it might be 1 1/4") Hope that makes sense. Not sure if that is the issue, but make sure it's part of your math

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:46 am

Appreciate the input, but that is not the issue. I am simply attempting to set the cut area in Carbide and it tells me the 425mmx425mm.75 is too large. That is the size listed per the specs.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:05 am

I don't have Carbide Create, but is it possible that you have it set up for the Nomad, which has a smaller cutting area?
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:27 am

No, if you look at the image you can see I have the Shapeoko selected.

Will keep messing with settings.

krtwood

Post by krtwood » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:29 am

"stock" is a term for the raw material you are working on. The software presumably already knows the size of the machine, since it's telling you it's too big for it. I haven't used the software yet, but I'm pretty sure it's asking you for the size of the material you are trying to cut your part(s) out of, not the size of the machine or the size of the part(s) being cut. Now you could actually put in something larger than that and only do your machining within the working area, but if you are going to be referencing off a corner of the "stock" then you need to be able to move the spindle so it's centered on the corner. So I'm guessing they are forcing you to use a slightly smaller "stock" size than the actual working area to keep things simple.

kerrycorcoran

Post by kerrycorcoran » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Okay, that makes sense. I hadn't had to enter 'stock' dimensions before and that threw me off. All of this is new so I am stumbling my way through :)

Appreciate the clarification.