Which tool for letters on Aluminum composite panel?

Talk about all things CNC
tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:07 pm

Hi,
Carbide 3d sells an aluminum plastic composite which looks ideal for making letters. Can anyone suggest a tool for this? I need small letters about 0.13" high. I tried a ball end mill and it did not turn out very well.
Thanks

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Which tool for letters on Aluminum composite panel?

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:12 pm

What CAM tool did you use for the letters?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Amana makes a special line for aluminum composite.

http://www.amanatool.com/products/cnc-r ... -bits.html

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:06 am

I haven't used aluminum composite but when I do small letter engraving on aluminum, I use a 1/8" diameter 90degree v-bit.

Can you show a image of the ball mill cutting the composite??

tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:03 am

Hi,
I should provide a few more details here. I have not yet tried to make letters on this panel.
I have tried using EstlCam and a 1/16 ball end mill on aluminum with a depth of 0.005"
When it works, it looks great, but for large words, the variability in height of the piece on the MDF BED is problematic.
As to the V Bit, I bought a 1/16 ince v bit but the tip always breaks when it hits the aluminum.

So, is the amanatool bits small enough for letters that will be 0.13" high and therefore quite fine?
Thanks

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:44 am

Why not try a spring loaded diamond drag engraving bit?

I just ordered one from Homann Designs. I haven't received it yet but I can report back when I get a chance to use it.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:51 am

Anything that requires very accurate milling, I always screw down a sacrificial piece and then surface it flat. Then mount the piece to be engraved. Of course that requires the stock to be flat and parallel to both faces. I use my bench mill to do that. I can get pretty good consistent engraving if I do those steps.

As for the v-bit, I was going through a bunch of them while engraving aluminum. Both cheap and expensive versions. Then I found some from drillman1 on eBay. They were Kyocera brand reverse flute. Doesn't look like your normal 1/8" vbit. The tip just seems thicker by the flutes and highly polished. I have yet to break the tip. I keep checking drillman1 but I haven't seen them since. I want to buy more for backup. Basicly not all v-bits are made the same. As far as the reverse flute, I have a spindle that can go backwards. I just have to remember to reverse direction. I assume they were special made for some application. Could be the type of carbide. I just don't know. All I know is they are awesome.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:03 am

Jimf wrote:They were Kyocera brand reverse flute. Doesn't look like your normal 1/8" vbit. The tip just seems thicker by the flutes and highly polished.
Do they seem to be on the Kyocera site anywhere?

http://www.kyoceramicrotools.com ← Prob this site

Maybe these? → http://www.kyoceramicrotools.com/micro/ ... s-EGR.html
Shapeoko 3 #516

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:37 am

AnonymousPerson wrote:
Jimf wrote:They were Kyocera brand reverse flute. Doesn't look like your normal 1/8" vbit. The tip just seems thicker by the flutes and highly polished.
Do they seem to be on the Kyocera site anywhere?

http://www.kyoceramicrotools.com ← Prob this site

Maybe these? → http://www.kyoceramicrotools.com/micro/ ... s-EGR.html
Well I think they are Kyocera brand. They were in a plastic holder that was shipped to me. With surplus end mills, drillman1 could of reused the Kyocera packaging.

I'll look at the Kyocera website and see if I can match it up.

They were also $1 a piece since they were reverse flute and no one wanted them. I bought the last 12 he had on eBay.

The second link you post doesn't look like them.