Anyone try to carve stone?

Talk about all things CNC
DigitalDaze

Anyone try to carve stone?

Post by DigitalDaze » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:42 pm

Has anyone used any kind of stone to engrave as a medium? I can get my hands on a couple pieces of scrap granite, and would like to use it, but not sure I want to be the guinea pig.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Anyone try to carve stone?

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:23 pm

We have a small section: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Materials#Stone

Only hard data on slate. Not sure granite will work well --- you'll almost certainly need active cooling at the least.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Estlcam

Post by Estlcam » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Granite is very hard and requires diamond tools + plenty of water.
I'd not recommend doing this because the water will mess up your wasteboard and may even kill your electronics.
Additionally carving with a V-cutter is only possible with very very expensive tools - the cheap ones will wear out on the tip almost instantly.

So practically you're limited to soft stones like e.g. limestone or slate that can be cut with appropriate carbide tools without water.
Estlcam CAM and Arduino UNO CNC controller: www.estlcam.com

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Well, there are CNC granite carving tools on ebay, so there are definitely people out there doing it:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=granite+cnc&_sop=15

On the higher end, there are specific CNC machines for it (kind of interesting):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq7wjsNu6gY

The dust shoe on this one looks like a scaled up version of the ones around here: :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2UdgJiSb1Y
Shapeoko 3 #516

DigitalDaze

Post by DigitalDaze » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. Maybe at this point, I'll stay away from stone until I have a better idea of what i'm doing. Thanks again.

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:36 am

I laughed when I saw this thread. When I got my Shapeoko I asked my daughter what she wanted me to make for her. Her reply was I want a rock that says "Nothing is engraved in stone" on it. I hadn't gotten around to making her one but saw this and said what the heck. I am not a geologist but my daughter is a rock collector as well as being a smart aleck like her Dad so I dug through till I found one that looked like granite.

I didn't do any fancy leveling or anything like that so it's not perfect. This is a single flute 1/8" 60 degree carbide bit that I got off Amazon run at 10ipm, .005" per pass. I went too deep trying to make up for the flatness but it carved pretty easily at that slow speed and depth, no stress on the machine.

I have some beautiful black granite 12x12 tile I was going to try with my diamond bit but the Z axis just flexes too much. I may just try cutting like this. If your willing to sacrifice a bit to the granite I think you may be able to engrave it.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:32 am

Cool, that did turn out well. :D

Does she have some Obsidian you could try?

It has interesting properties (glass-ish), so might be too weird. But... since you like experimenting too... 8-)
Shapeoko 3 #516

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:57 am

Just a huge chunk and I don't have anything to cut it right now. I'll see if I can find a piece to try.

Daughter and I walked down to the creek today and pulled out some nice flat stones to try. I was trying to find some shale but this seems way harder than that. Same bit and I was able to carve another stone while the bit still looks ok.

Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

DigitalDaze

Post by DigitalDaze » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:21 am

Those came out pretty nice. Good job!

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:58 pm

Hmmm, you could inlay that with something (say) silver coloured to really bring out a contrasting metallic effect. Might look pretty cool. :D

Btw, if/when you do get around to trying out Obsidian, be kind of careful with any dust and/or any sharp edges if i shatters.

Obsidian is used for making the knife edges of the sharpest knives in the world (really), because of the way it breaks. They're not strong edges, but they are Damn Sharp.

I have some here I intend to try stuff with at some point too. :D
Shapeoko 3 #516