eshapeoko setup help

Talk about all things CNC
Dan123

eshapeoko setup help

Post by Dan123 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Hello

I have wired my eshapeoko up the same as the shapeoko 2 but I now don't no how to get it to work?

Dan

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: eshapeoko setup help

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:08 am

It should work the same as any other Grbl-based CNC.

Apparently the docs.shapeoko.com domain is going to alias to docs.carbide3d.com, so we’ll need to work something out on that.

Please see: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Overview

And let us know if you have any questions.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:59 pm

ok im having trouble in getting the cnc to talk to the computer and get it to move?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:00 am

Rephrasing of: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/56-ca ... ine-or-jog

In order to connect to the machine and get it to move, several things need to happen:

The drivers must be properly installed (see http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ftware.pdf )
Grbl must be properly installed and configured (normally it comes pre-installed, but mistakes happen and it is possible for the installation to become corrupt)
The machine must be connected with a good quality USB cable (some people have found that one with ferrite beads makes for a more reliable connection)
The machine must be connected to a power source and if there is a switch, switched on. (Please check your power supply and ensure that it is set to match your local power standard before plugging it in.)
The communications / control software must be set to use the correct communications port (you may want to check the list of available ports and note which ones are present before installation) and be set to the correct speed (115200 baud for current versions of Grbl)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:48 am

Your Arduino should have GRBL 0.9j pre-installed. It should show up as a COM port, and the bit rate should be 115,200.

In order for Windows to see a new Arduino, you need the drivers that come with the Arduino IDE from arduino.org, not the one from arduino.cc (the box the Arduino came in should have instructions). I don't know whether you need to do anything special for other operating systems.

Does your Arduino show up as a COM port when you connect the USB cable?

What software are you using on the PC as a G-code sender?

Did you re-install GRBL on your Arduino, or did you flash anything other than what came on it, such as the blink test?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:19 pm

do I have to use a pc?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:45 pm

You can use a PC (running Windows or Linux), or a Mac, or a Raspberry Pi, or any other computer which you can get to communicate w/ the Arduino's copy of Grbl.

Please write up:

- what you've tried --- step-by-step, in detail
- what you expected to happen
- what happened when things ceased to match your expectations

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:55 pm

ok im at work at the minute but ill do my best to explain so I watched a video on inventables assembling there cnc and followed that wired it up exactly the same i then downloaded universal g code sender now i don't no what to do next i plugged the USB cable in the arduino and got a green light when i loaded universal g code sender i don't get the option to choose between com ports thats where im up to i gave up after that

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:36 am

???

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:05 am

The light comes on because of power. It’ll start blinking once communication is established.

Sounds as if you don’t have the driver for the Arduino installed. Please see:

http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/software.html

After that see: http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/helloworld.html