eshapeoko setup help

Talk about all things CNC
cvoinescu

Re: eshapeoko setup help

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:33 pm

I have no clue how to set it up on Mac, but you definitely don't need a driver.

The yellow LED I was talking about is hard to see with the shield on -- it's very close to pin 13. It turns on and blinks briefly when you connect the USB, then it should turn off and stay off.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 pm

so what do i have to do ow as i dont need a driver?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Try to connect, and check your system log for messages, check the Universal G-Code Sender docs for information on debugging?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:15 pm

this is out of my depth i have not clue i give up

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:30 pm

I'm really sorry I can not help with the Mac. On a Windows PC, there are many options for software, and I can walk you through at least two of them: UGS and bCNC. Both should work on the Mac too, but on Windows I know where to look when they don't.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 am

green light has gone out on arduino ???

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:04 pm

When I remove the stepper motor driver board the light comes back on?

Dan123

Post by Dan123 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:12 pm

anyone any help???

Volkhard

Post by Volkhard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:56 am

Dan, sorry I can't help you.

I just watching the forum but I am not really involved, or having a Shapeoko3. But a friend of mine has one and for 2 month he is trying to figure things out. He is by no means a computer wizzard nor have had any contact to CNC before.

When he looked at the video announcement for the S3, the close to perfect packaging, the sturdy parts, he thought that it is the perfect entry for him as he expected a decent manual to come with it.

I believe carbide 3D is putting out a very nice kit for a reasonable price. But they are failing IMHO miserably in decent documentation and providing a startup manual. It should be fairly easy to put a nice step by step guide for "the rest of us" together, instead of using the wiki format to have information all over the places. Yes for arduni tinkerer, computer savy nerds or people with a technical degree it might all come together.

For the average Joe this is at the moment not the product to get one's feet wet as the frustration will begin as soon as the machanical assembly is completed.

The newbie feels left alone, has no idea where to start and if he calls in for support, he doesn't feel much respected and gets some tech jargon, he doesnt know what it means. To me it feels the OP is in a similar place as my friend and I assume there are a number of other newcomer out there, not making the step from assembly over connection to running easily. Carbide 3D is missing a big opportunity to lead customers, completely new to this world, into a fulfilling hobby. Leaving them stranded by not having time to write a decent, down to earth manual is not smart business. Sorry for the lengthy post. Watching from the sidelines I usually keep quiet but this issue seems so obvious......

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:48 am

I agree with you to a point as we have all been there. Reading through the manual and get it put together but then what's next. How do I hook up to the machine, how fast do I go, how deep do I cut, etc. Other than the forum Carbide has not put any effort into what's next at this point.

What you can't deny is how helpful this forum is especially on the Shapeoko 3. If your friend is truly having issues and has not gotten or understands what is needed from Carbide they will get a quick answer from someone on the forum if they take a second to introduce themselves and post their issues. There are several people here with a lot of experience that would be happy to help and have taken the time over private message and even a phone call if needed.

The system is well made for the price and yes the marketing is "put it together and cut all this cool stuff". Like 3D printers that say "you can print anything" (not unless you know 3D CAD or want to print stuff off thingiverse forever) it's still in the realm of the tinkerers. So, unless you have some degree of electrical or mechanical technical knowledge it can be overwhelming. This can also be a dangerous machine with plenty of pinch points and a totally unguarded bit spinning at 1000's of RPM's without so much as a danger sticker on it :D

I feel for your friend and Dan when you get stuck but we will try and help everyone out. Also check out the Carbide Community on the Carbide3D site as their team answers questions over there.
Last edited by Atonwa on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001