Able to mill this?

Talk about all things CNC
afkrejci90

Able to mill this?

Post by afkrejci90 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:34 am

So a shop that was going to do the milling for a part I designed is behind on work and can't take on any new projects at this time. Since I have been considering the shapeoko 3 beforehand for various other projects and am about to buy, I will now have to take on this project myself or spend $100's at other shops. So my question is this, will this part be feasible with some degree of difficulty to mill on the shapeoko 3? This is a render of it assembled, but it is one thick plate with four separate spigots. The stock will have to be milled down to the specified thickness, milled, and then flipped over to finish the bottom side with chamfers. So is two sided milling achievable?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Able to mill this?

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:01 am

What material?

The shape itself should be doable, just make a fixture to receive the part after one side has been routed.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:16 am

Also what kind of tolerances are you looking to achieve on this and what's your timeline?

Unless your a pro with CNC your not just going to buy, assemble and mill something in perfect tolerance right out of the box. Just want to set a realistic expectation especially if your in a hurry.

One other thing is the ring on your spigot. Since the S3 is 2.5D I'm not quite sure exactly how you would get that if the piece is milled from a solid single piece. Or do you plan to flip jig each spigot, machine and then press into the bottom plate?
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:34 am

Missed the ring.

That would have to be done as a separate piece as Atonwa noted, or, make a tool like to a tube cutter which would rotate around the circumference and create said ring as a third operation.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:49 am

To cut that ring...im not sure if thats a detent, hose clamp groove or what...but youll need a special bit and toolpath for that.

Heres an example of router bits that have a similar profile to what you need.

http://www.amanatool.com/products/route ... -bits.html

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:56 am

A convex radius cutter would also work...though im not sure if theyre well suited for router speeds.

https://m.mscdirect.com/mobileweb/produ ... d=33024373

afkrejci90

Post by afkrejci90 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:15 am

WillAdams wrote:What material?

The shape itself should be doable, just make a fixture to receive the part after one side has been routed.
6061 aluminum

afkrejci90

Post by afkrejci90 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:20 am

Atonwa wrote:Also what kind of tolerances are you looking to achieve on this and what's your timeline?

Tight tolerances aren't needed and im looking to do it within the next month or two.
Atonwa wrote:Unless your a pro with CNC your not just going to buy, assemble and mill something in perfect tolerance right out of the box. Just want to set a realistic expectation especially if your in a hurry.
I understand that there will be a learning curve, so I'll practice on cheaper material to get the hang of two sided milling.
Atonwa wrote:One other thing is the ring on your spigot. Since the S3 is 2.5D I'm not quite sure exactly how you would get that if the piece is milled from a solid single piece. Or do you plan to flip jig each spigot, machine and then press into the bottom plate?
Yes. It will have to be done with aluminum tubing and flip jigged.

afkrejci90

Post by afkrejci90 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:24 am

sgth0mas wrote:To cut that ring...im not sure if thats a detent, hose clamp groove or what...but youll need a special bit and toolpath for that.

Heres an example of router bits that have a similar profile to what you need.

http://www.amanatool.com/products/route ... -bits.html
Its a groove for a carb boot seal. I'm thinking this piece would be better suited for a lathe.

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:26 am

If your primarily running metals and will be using any oils or coolant I would recommend talking to Carbide about getting the aluminum bed from the start.

It sounds like you have an idea on how you can machine your parts we'll all be interested to see how they work out with the flip jigs.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001