Able to mill this?

Talk about all things CNC
twforeman

Re: Able to mill this?

Post by twforeman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:31 am

I think you could do the whole thing out of a solid piece on the S3. It would take a while.

The groove/ring could be done with a T-slot mill or something similar. What you want is this: http://mindworks.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Fil ... d_Mill.jpg

If all you need on the back side is a chamfer I would probably do that by hand or on a router table with a bearing guided chamfer bit. Indexing the part adds unneeded complexity.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:58 am

afkrejci90 wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:To cut that ring...im not sure if thats a detent, hose clamp groove or what...but youll need a special bit and toolpath for that.

Heres an example of router bits that have a similar profile to what you need.

http://www.amanatool.com/products/route ... -bits.html
Its a groove for a carb boot seal. I'm thinking this piece would be better suited for a lathe.
I dont think you would have a problem cutting that on a 2.5D machine with the convex radius cutter in my second link..especially if you dont need tight tolerances.

If thats meant to be all 1 piece...im not sure you could ever lathe it.

EDIT: nevermind...i just read where you mentioned it will be multiple components.

afkrejci90

Post by afkrejci90 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:17 am

twforeman wrote:I think you could do the whole thing out of a solid piece on the S3. It would take a while.

The groove/ring could be done with a T-slot mill or something similar. What you want is this: http://mindworks.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Fil ... d_Mill.jpg

If all you need on the back side is a chamfer I would probably do that by hand or on a router table with a bearing guided chamfer bit. Indexing the part adds unneeded complexity.
I really could forego the chamfer and save myself the headache. The spigots will be a challenge since they have an internal parabolic reduction.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:51 pm

afkrejci90 wrote:I really could forego the chamfer and save myself the headache. The spigots will be a challenge since they have an internal parabolic reduction.
As long as the taper is wider on the top than the bottom you should be able to cut it with a long ball end mill.

Programming the g-code might be a bit of work depending on what CAM software you have access to.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:49 pm

i'll be doing a similar piece for a motor cycle im building. im looking forward to see what you come up with.