Making an SO3 start in the same spot, every time..

Talk about all things CNC
BellyUpFish

Making an SO3 start in the same spot, every time..

Post by BellyUpFish » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Ok, so I'm still newbing my way through the SO3.. Unfortunately, the last 6 months my SO3 has been and still is, in storage since selling our house, but I'm still trying to learn, in the absence of my machine.

One issue that I am struggling with, and I have no doubt it is operator error, is adjusting the work piece so that the engraved area is centered or in the correct spot.

I keep watching YouTube videos and notice on the X-Carve, guys always seem to have the unit start in the same spot, predictibly.

What is needed to make the SO3 go to a predetermined spot at the click of a button and always make it start there, so I can position my work and know "this is where it'll start?"

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Making an SO3 start in the same spot, every time..

Post by WillAdams » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Homing switches are the preferred way to do this: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... t_Switches

The way to work-around it: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/39-ho ... e-switches
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

BellyUpFish

Post by BellyUpFish » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:40 pm

WillAdams wrote:Homing switches are the preferred way to do this: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... t_Switches

The way to work-around it: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/39-ho ... e-switches
Excellent. Some homing switches are what I need.

I'll look into a kit.

*EDIT*

Ok, so I've looked at a couple kits - what is the benefit of a conductive probe?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:25 pm

The conductive probe allows one to:

- more easily set the Z-height
- scan the material for on-the-fly leveling when using bCNC and other tools which allow that
- 3D probe objects to get their dimensions / sizes

probably some other things.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

BellyUpFish

Post by BellyUpFish » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks.

chrome700

Post by chrome700 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:13 am

Is an edge finder like the one at themakersguide.com compatible with the stock control software of the SO3?

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:28 am

No, it looks like that works with Mach 3.

That doesn't mean you couldn't add the functionality to Universal-GCode-Sender or bCNC with some programming work. :)

It's basically a touch plate, so you would just need to write some code to touch four points on the hole and do some simple math to find the center.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

chrome700

Post by chrome700 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Yeah, I realize Mach 3 has the capability built in. Mind be an nice feature to add to the SO3 software.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:19 pm

I think that Carbide3d is taking an approach to their software that tries to keep things very simple so they would be unlikely to add on "features" like compatibility with that specific edge finder product. (Or to a degree, any touch plate or edge finder other than how they have things set up with the Nomad and what's built into GRBL, such as homing with homing/limit switches.)

That said, it would be nice if bCNC and/or UGCS supported this approach. It seems simple enough, but I know just enough about coding to know that nothing is ever as "trivial" as it first seems.

vasilis

Post by vasilis » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:03 pm

bCNC already has a center hole probing functionality and the possibility to align an object
by providing a few markers. Actually it transforms (rotates and translates) the gcode to match the object.
Currently I doing some work on adding a camera alignment system.
With a cheap webcam mounted next to my spindle facing downwards I could get X-Y resolution less than 50um.