Expansion packs announced

Talk about all things CNC
jfdotcom

Expansion packs announced

Post by jfdotcom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm glad to see this finally happening although the price is still a shocker. $499/$699
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

DigitalDaze

Re: Expansion packs announced

Post by DigitalDaze » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:54 pm

Agreed.....thought for us pre-buyers, and garage types on our spare time, they might have been a bit more affordable. Now I need to see how bad I really want it, if at all.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Those drag chains can get expensive quick and two per kit adds some money.

Since neither of the expansion sizes they determined will work for me I guess I'm still waiting to see if the extrusion is ever going to be available on its own or if the S3 gets sold off for something else. :(
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

Jexoteric

Post by Jexoteric » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Is it just me or are the sizes not listed? I didn't see them on the site listings, and the email announcement didn't have them either. What size does the XL and XXL bring the cutting area to?

Nevermind, I found it:
Cutting Area (XL): 33"(X), 17"(Y), 3"(Z)
Cutting Area (XXL): 33"(X) x 33"(Y) x 3"(Z)

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:12 pm

XXL Upgrade Pack: US$699.00

Shipping to the UK: US$772.20

Yeah, that's not going to work. :(
Shapeoko 3 #516

DRobs86

Post by DRobs86 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:25 pm

AnonymousPerson wrote:XXL Upgrade Pack: US$699.00

Shipping to the UK: US$772.20

Yeah, that's not going to work. :(
Apparently I need to start buying these and reselling to Europe. You could nearly buy it a one way plane ticket for that.

DRobs86

Post by DRobs86 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:38 pm

Atonwa wrote:Those drag chains can get expensive quick and two per kit adds some money.

Since neither of the expansion sizes they determined will work for me I guess I'm still waiting to see if the extrusion is ever going to be available on its own or if the S3 gets sold off for something else. :(
If I were them I would not sell the extrusion by itself. There is just more money is selling you a complete bundle.

For what its worth, I dont think the money is in the drag chain. I have been in contact with some overseas suppliers about some things and plastic chains (which are all you need IMO) are pretty affordable.

The value is in the fact that they are offering a tested configuration that is going to (I presume) integrate seamlessly.

dws

Post by dws » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:51 pm

DRobs86 wrote:
Atonwa wrote:Those drag chains can get expensive quick and two per kit adds some money.

If I were them I would not sell the extrusion by itself. There is just more money is selling you a complete bundle.

For what its worth, I dont think the money is in the drag chain. I have been in contact with some overseas suppliers about some things and plastic chains (which are all you need IMO) are pretty affordable.

The value is in the fact that they are offering a tested configuration that is going to (I presume) integrate seamlessly.
If one could buy the extrusions by itself, one could customize their Shapeoko 3 to fit their needs. I would like to be able to select not only custom X and/or Y axis; but also be able to allow more room in the Z axis for things like vises or vacuum tables.

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:06 pm

^This. I bought into the Shapeoko because of the promise of open source. If the main component will not be available to even purchase then I'm not quite sure how it can be called an open source machine.

If it was closed source I would have no problem with them not selling the extrusion by itself and forcing us into upgrade packages. Every other machine I can simply buy the extrusion to make it any size I want.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:08 pm

jfdotcom wrote:I'm glad to see this finally happening although the price is still a shocker. $499/$699
FWIW, a ShapeOko2 upgrade to a 1m x 1m X-Carve with waste board and other basics is about $620, according to Inventables' website. The price isn't unreasonable, when you are getting a slightly bigger work area (X-Carve->31"x31"x3". SO3 XXL->33"x33"x3") and much stiffer machine.