Expansion packs announced

Talk about all things CNC
jacob32123

Re: Expansion packs announced

Post by jacob32123 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:34 am

emerica wrote:Now... I had read some things about Carbide possibly pursuing people who would commercially sell the extrusion, this needs to be clarified. Is this true?
They'd certainly be within their rights to. The machine is released under a non-commercial license (source), so you're not allowed to sell the parts. That makes having any extrusion produced impossible, unless you need a full run of it for personal use. Certainly a disappointing outcome for a machine that was made possible because of open source, openly available rails.

TomO

Post by TomO » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:56 am

Anyone else like me and want to see a video and/or an actual photo before they drop another ~$750?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:31 am

jacob32123 wrote:
emerica wrote:Now... I had read some things about Carbide possibly pursuing people who would commercially sell the extrusion, this needs to be clarified. Is this true?
They'd certainly be within their rights to. The machine is released under a non-commercial license (source), so you're not allowed to sell the parts. That makes having any extrusion produced impossible, unless you need a full run of it for personal use. Certainly a disappointing outcome for a machine that was made possible because of open source, openly available rails.
Im not sure thats accurate. Reverse engineering physical components is perfectly legal as long as it has been lawfully obtained. If theres not a patent on the rails...what leg do they have to stand on?

Defy

Post by Defy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:54 am

So i am going to use my SO3 to make a die to make the extrusions myself :). Cant be too hard right? A bunch of molten alu squished through a die? I saw it once on how its made im sure.

On a serious note i am just deciding if i should sell mine and buy a kit. Or just buy the expansion. Anyone need a kit in Omaha?

Second question: if i buy the xxl can i just build the xl until i have time to build a bigger enclosure?

Last question what are folks thinking about doing with their old extrusions?

Defy

Post by Defy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:00 am

TomO wrote:Anyone else like me and want to see a video and/or an actual photo before they drop another ~$750?

Yes
And another 300 to upgrade my vectric v carve!

jacob32123

Post by jacob32123 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:25 am

sgth0mas wrote:Im not sure thats accurate. Reverse engineering physical components is perfectly legal as long as it has been lawfully obtained. If theres not a patent on the rails...what leg do they have to stand on?
The fact that the product was released under a noncommercial license.

You may however be right that you could make a Shapeoko 3 compatible rail design (with proper V spacing and hole placement), but with a different overall shape (thicker walls?), and get away with it. I don't know very much about that though, and you'd probably want to consult a lawyer before you sink some money into having rail extruded.

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:02 am

jacob32123 wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:Im not sure thats accurate. Reverse engineering physical components is perfectly legal as long as it has been lawfully obtained. If theres not a patent on the rails...what leg do they have to stand on?

You may however be right that you could make a Shapeoko 3 compatible rail design (with proper V spacing and hole placement), but with a different overall shape (thicker walls?), and get away with it. I don't know very much about that though, and you'd probably want to consult a lawyer before you sink some money into having rail extruded.
Oh im definitely not going to sink the money into it. I was just thinking that if a third party company thought they could make expansions for decently less amd remain profitable...i dont believe they could be held legally liable unless they acquired the technical data unlawfully.

If i commercially buy some extruded rail and measure everything to reverse engineer it...i can build and sell it as long as it isnt protected by a patent or other agreement. But maybe theres some weird agreement/T&Cs/etc that im not aware of since i havent bought an SO3.

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:48 am

Defy wrote:
Second question: if i buy the xxl can i just build the xl until i have time to build a bigger enclosure?

Last question what are folks thinking about doing with their old extrusions?
On your second question, I suspect the MDF will have a different hole pattern for the two versions.

In regards to your last question, I'm thinking build a second SO3 and make my own X and Y carriage plates and experiment. You'll end up with most of the frame and base after the upgrade.

I've been considering converting my Z carriage to an acme screw drive, this would give me an opportunity to have a test bed for improvements while still producing with the larger machine.

Pondering whether to spend the $$ on the xxl or create a Franken SO3 with V bearings and hardened steel rails.

Roughly $775 to quadruple your work area. If I knew it would ship on 3/31 and I could have my machine upgraded before the busy summer season may push me over the edge.

There's a place on the order page to enter a discount code. Any mention of one?

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:47 am

jacob32123 wrote:
Apparently that's not how the hardware side of things works in the US (note, I'm not a law person).

The CAD files are copyrighted, and not under an open source license... so extrusion created using those could be problematic. However if someone physically has the extrusion in their possession (eg bought an S3), they're completely legally allowed to create their own CAD file(s) and extrusions from that and even sell them. As long as they do it by measuring the dimensions of a physical one. They just can't do stuff based on the Carbide 3D provided CAD/CAM files.

Further info here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 967#p46965
Shapeoko 3 #516

TomO

Post by TomO » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 pm

HDVideo wrote: As others have stated, the cutting area dimensions are a bit odd. I wonder what criteria prevented a more "conventional" size? While 33"x33" is still less than I personally would have liked, it's certainly better than the standard S3 and priced reasonably, compared to other machines in this class, IMHO.
I agree - anyone know how they came up with 33"x33"?