Expansion packs announced

Talk about all things CNC
CrazyBillybob

Re: Expansion packs announced

Post by CrazyBillybob » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:40 pm

JBweld sucks on aluminum. if the aluminum is subjected to heating and cooling cycles (like out doors) it expands and contracts more than the Jb weld and pops off.

When it popped of the aluminum so easily I never tried it on steel so not sure how well it works....

CBB

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:21 pm

CrazyBillybob wrote:JBweld sucks on aluminum. if the aluminum is subjected to heating and cooling cycles (like out doors) it expands and contracts more than the Jb weld and pops off.

When it popped of the aluminum so easily I never tried it on steel so not sure how well it works....

CBB
I would expect the epoxy to expand more, but yes there is still a large CTE mismatch. You probably didn't have an ideal bond either.

Defy

Post by Defy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:34 pm

I just want to cut out things from 3/4 ply. I don't think I need super accurate machine to do that but I need 4x2 then upgradeable to 4x4. I am sure it's not rocket science to weld these things together. Who wants to sell me their 24inch pieces? I'll buy up to 6 pieces (pending price) from folks when the get their upgrades. PM me if your interested in selling your old to offset your new. I'll get it welded up and set my machine up! If no one is interested I think I am going to sell mine and just buy a new one.

Side bar: Do we get a new name plate with the expansion?

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:43 am

Per Rob at Carbide, no extrusion will be for sale separately.

http://community.carbide3d.com/t/so3-si ... 7?u=atonwa
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:20 pm

CrazyBillybob wrote:JBweld sucks on aluminum. if the aluminum is subjected to heating and cooling cycles (like out doors) it expands and contracts more than the Jb weld and pops off.

CBB
You should tell that to Porsche. They use jbweld on their turbo engine to glue aluminum water cooling fittings to the aluminum engine block. No bolts.
Granted , it happens that they come apart occasionally, and then it's a 6000 dollar repair.

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:56 pm

tomb18 wrote:

CBB
You should tell that to Porsche. They use jbweld on their turbo engine to glue aluminum water cooling fittings to the aluminum engine block. No bolts.
Granted , it happens that they come apart occasionally, and then it's a 6000 dollar repair.
You sure its jb weld and not some industrial grade epoxy? Maybe a devcon?

GoSpeedRacer

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:18 pm

I just ordered mine. I was at first unhappy with the crazy shipping cost- when I went to pull the trigger there were now 4 options and one was FedEx 4 day at around $45! So much better!

I ended up getting the XXL set even though I won't need to extend both axis. I figure there will be enough extrusions left over to build me another table or maybe a 3D printer. That's how I justified it anyway haha!

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:45 am

March 31st is getting close, are there any photos or updates on the finished product and shipping dates?

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:39 pm

ShapeOko 3 XL and XXL updates have been posted on this thread (http://community.carbide3d.com/t/so3-ar ... begin/1578).

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:25 pm

What is the actual footprint of the XL and XXL machines? I can find the actual milling area but not the actual total length and width of the machine.

BONUS QUESTION:
Is there any talk of developing a larger size?

Thanks
K