Leftover parts from upgraded machines

Talk about all things CNC
Post Reply
WillAdams
Posts: 8584
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 pm
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15
Contact:

Leftover parts from upgraded machines

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:20 pm

Okay, now that the XL and XXL kits have been announced, we're going to be having some surplus rails and extrusions --- the XXL kits in particular will leave people in close to the situation of I.C. when he finished upgrading his SO1 --- he was able to build a stock SO1 from the leftover parts.

Things which I'd like to see:

- Carbide 3D selling replacement parts --- I know this is a nuisance, but I believe it's a necessary thing
- some sort of clearing house so that parts won't gather dust
- (prob. related to the above) some mechanism where parts could be donated for use by schools / non-profits? (In the past, I've suggested that we should pool all of our broken carbide tooling for recycling, but the mailing costs are prohibitive....)

Things which I expect to see:

- a 3D printer design (Delta?) which uses 3 SO3 extrusions and has parts which are all easily cut by an SO3
- someone working up an alternative rail system which can be implemented to upgrade an SO3 just by drilling some holes
- an even larger batch of machines / upgrade kits which get us to the 48" x 16", 48" x 48" and 48" x 96" machines which are able to accommodate quarter, half and full sheets of plywood

and lastly, something which I'd be surprised to see --- as neat as it would be, I just don't see a reasonable method of joining the extrusions together --- I'd love to be wrong though.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:51 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: Leftover parts from upgraded machines

Post by twforeman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:06 pm

WillAdams wrote:Things which I expect to see:

- a 3D printer design (Delta?) which uses 3 SO3 extrusions and has parts which are all easily cut by an SO3
That would be a very large and overly beefy 3D printer. :lol:

I do think that Carbide 3D should sell parts, specifically rail in stock lengths. But they are busy building machine kits and upgrade kits right now and I'm guessing it's taking all their rail stock.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

samc99us
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Re: Leftover parts from upgraded machines

Post by samc99us » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Yeah, I'm basically in the same situation. I have enough parts leftover to basically build a stock SO2 except for the v-wheels and axis plates. At this point, I'm considering selling the whole machine and starting over, it might end up a wash. At the same time, a few minor upgrades to my existing setup and I'd be pretty golden.

Bummer that even the XXL upgrade kit for the SO3 isn't big enough for my needs (42" cut length, may as well be 48" to take a standard sheet).
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

DRobs86
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:19 am

Re: Leftover parts from upgraded machines

Post by DRobs86 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Why not cut new plates and resale?

chamnit
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:16 pm
Location: Albuquerque NM, USA
Contact:

Re: Leftover parts from upgraded machines

Post by chamnit » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:37 pm

I think it would be possible to join two rails together, but it'd be a pain to ensure they are straight and continuous. Fortunately the rail walls are very thick and it would be conceivable to bolt metal strapping between the rails. Or, machine an aluminum coupling. Sure, it'd look ugly and may require some additional support at the joint, but it's not impossible.

sgth0mas
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: Leftover parts from upgraded machines

Post by sgth0mas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:03 am

chamnit wrote:I think it would be possible to join two rails together, but it'd be a pain to ensure they are straight and continuous. Fortunately the rail walls are very thick and it would be conceivable to bolt metal strapping between the rails. Or, machine an aluminum coupling. Sure, it'd look ugly and may require some additional support at the joint, but it's not impossible.
I would imagine it would be pretty tough to get the joint to be rigid and straight enough to hit decent tolerances.

Maybe if you put enough screws in with some high precision dowel pins for alignment though.

madhatter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:33 am
Location: WA, USA

Re: Leftover parts from upgraded machines

Post by madhatter » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:04 am

WillAdams wrote:Okay, now that the XL and XXL kits have been announced, we're going to be having some surplus rails and extrusions --- the XXL kits in particular will leave people in close to the situation of I.C. when he finished upgrading his SO1 --- he was able to build a stock SO1 from the leftover parts.

Things which I'd like to see:

- Carbide 3D selling replacement parts --- I know this is a nuisance, but I believe it's a necessary thing
- some sort of clearing house so that parts won't gather dust
- (prob. related to the above) some mechanism where parts could be donated for use by schools / non-profits? (In the past, I've suggested that we should pool all of our broken carbide tooling for recycling, but the mailing costs are prohibitive....)
Spot on. I was working on putting together a generic CNC machine, so I have a GRBLshield and a few stepper motors, so what would be cool is to have a "So your friend upgraded his/her SO3 and gave you all the extras" and it populated the cart with everything (minus electronics).

Something like:

[ ] Everything to turn the "Extras" into a machine (minus electronics)
[ ] Controller board
[ ] Stepper Motors

Ah, a man can dream. . .
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

Post Reply