bCNC problems sending code

Talk about all things CNC
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: bCNC problems sending code

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Yeah, the myriad array of comm / control programs is a strange thing to me, that there are so many, and that there hasn't been a coalescing of effort on a single standard one.

One thing I've been faintly surprised at is that one isn't done as a part of the Arduino IDE itself coded up in Processing --- is there some reason that wouldn't be an option?

There is: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/GCtrl --- so the basic functionality is there, just needs a nice interface.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:13 pm

Will, you're not solving the problem of not having one single standard program by creating yet another one.

I think there are several forces at work here, and it's important to understand them.

One is that developers have strong preferences for and against some platforms, and almost none is as polarizing as Java. That pretty much guarantees that Universal G-code Sender will not be the developer consensus.

Another is that many users have strong preferences against online applications. While others appreciate the convenience a rich feature set and frequent updates, this means that ChiliPeppr is not going to be the user consensus.

A solution based on Processing or the Arduino IDE would be less polarizing than Java and in-browser applications, but still somewhat objectionable, because of the massive dependency and the low penetration of the platform among developers.

There is then the matter of convenience. As currently packaged (or, I should say, not packaged), bCNC has too high a barrier of entry for casual computer users. You may not think that a clearly documented three-step install process would too much for any user, but there's clear evidence that it is. That is fairly easily remedied, but it's boring, un-sexy work of the kind that does not attract volunteers. However, once that boring work is done and bCNC has an official, supported installer, I think it has a good chance of emerging as the winner: it's open, it's written in a popular, uncontroversial and generally well regarded language, it runs on several platforms, it's fairly light on resources, it has all the basic features and lots of advanced ones, and it's very actively developed.

FWIW, bCNC is certainly the one I'd contribute to.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:57 pm

I've been pitching in on bCNC as well --- trying to find the time to do some more on it.

Will have to look into the packaging angle --- might be able to manage that, at least for Windows.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:02 pm

The online thing is a deal breaker with Chillipepper for me too. And yes I know you can do zyx to make it offline, but that is too inconvenient. And also the grbl work space is not actively supported, so you loose a lot of the super cool functionality that the tinyg one has. Combined this makes Chilipeppr not ideal for me as an grbl user with very unstable wifi in my workshop.

bCNC is very promising too. The install under linux was super simple, so no complaints there. But I don't think the issues I have now is something I can fix by myself. We'll see. But at some point I have to cut my "losses" and move on.
ShapeOko 2. Nema 17 74 oz·in. GAUPS shield on Arduino Uno. DRV8825 Drivers x4 . Kress 1050 FME-1. Z Acme Screw. Threaded inserts table.

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Sorry to continue the tangent... but why is the arduino IDE (a java app) less controversial than UGS (a java app)?
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:33 pm

I don't believe I indicated it was less controversial, just that I was surprised that no one had used Processing as the basis for a comm / control program. No endorsement was meant or implied.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Will Winder wrote:Sorry to continue the tangent... but why is the arduino IDE (a java app) less controversial than UGS (a java app)?
The difference was that I was talking about developers contributing to UGS (a Java app) compared to developers using the Arduino IDE to work on GCtrl (a Processing app). From the point of view of the user, UGS is perfectly fine and it matters little what it's written in. The same should be true from the point of view of potential contributors, but Java attracts a larger share of criticism and downright bigotry than other languages. This is why I think it's unlikely that we'd end up standardizing on UGS, through no fault of yours or UGS's.
WillAdams wrote:[...] I was surprised that no one had used Processing as the basis for a comm / control program. No endorsement was meant or implied.
I don't know anyone who programs in Processing, but many who do in C++, Java, JavaScript and Python. Maybe it's just because Processing programmers are so rare.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:59 pm

I tried to run it with steppers not powered now, just the usb powering the arduino. Same problem!
Tried with a laptop I have with a fresh install of the latest linux Mint, same problem!

So now this is 100% repeatable with different PC's using different hardware, and with both Ubuntu LTS and Mint (fresh installs). Also with power to steppers on or off.

So it's either bCNC or Linux..? It's very strange that I'm apparently is the only one with this trouble. There surely is other linux users running bCNC out there.

Any ideas?
Attachments
syslog laptop.txt
(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
ShapeOko 2. Nema 17 74 oz·in. GAUPS shield on Arduino Uno. DRV8825 Drivers x4 . Kress 1050 FME-1. Z Acme Screw. Threaded inserts table.

onekk

Post by onekk » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Auarhau, have you tried to ask on the bCNC github page?
What version of python you are using, bCNC will not work with python 3.x

Inviato dal mio Dynamic_Fun utilizzando Tapatalk

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Auarhau wrote: So now this is 100% repeatable with different PC's using different hardware, and with both Ubuntu LTS and Mint (fresh installs). Also with power to steppers on or off.

So it's either bCNC or Linux..? It's very strange that I'm apparently is the only one with this trouble. There surely is other linux users running bCNC out there.

Any ideas?
Hmm. I run bCNC on a laptop running Linux Mint (an older version) and have no issues.

The only think I can think of is did you install all the required packages?

https://github.com/vlachoudis/bCNC
  • tkinter the graphical toolkit for python - Depending your python/OS it can either be already installed, or under the names tkinter, python-tkinter, python-tk
  • pyserial or under the name python-serial, python-pyserial
Optionally:
  • python-imaging-tk: the PIL libraries for autolevel height map
  • python-opencv: for webcam streaming on web pendant
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts