Router interference\Spindle size for SO3

Talk about all things CNC
stuarttaylor00

Router interference\Spindle size for SO3

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:15 am

Hey guys,

I'm still having some dramas with my SO3 and the disconnection issues, I have the 2.3 board, ferrite cores on my usb cable, and have run the trim router (makita 701) and Shapeoko power off separate circuits, with everything else on those circuits powered off, Which leads me to think that the router is really causing the issue - has anyone had experiences changing from a trim router to Spindle, and that solving the disconnection issues?

My second question is what size router can the SO3 handle? I have future plans that require a 2.2kW router, but at 5.1Kg I'm not sure if it's too heavy for the Z axis drive..

I think a 1.5KW would be ideal, but I'd like to get away with only having to buy one spindle. Thoughts?

I nearly cried when it froze with the new 2.3 board! haha

*edit* I have already contacted carbide support so all is good, I'm just after your opinions :)
Shapeoko 3 #1095 - Aluminium wasteboard, homing switches, Modified Z plate, Makita 700 router
Flashforge Dreamer Dual extruder 3D printer

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)

UltiArjan

Re: Router interference\Spindle size for SO3

Post by UltiArjan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:27 am

I'm running a similar setup, 2.3 board & Makita.
Since I got the 2.3 board I have not had any disconnects (but I did no do any supper long jobs).

I did not do any complicated stuff, no special grounding etc..

The only thing I can think of being different are:
- I twisted all motor cables
- I run from a battery powered windows tablet
- The shapeoko is connected thru a "belkin surgemaster", but its on the same walloutlet as the makita and the vacuumcleaner.
-------------------------------------------------
Shapeoko3 #1331, Makita RT0700
Ultimaker2, Ultimaker2+E3Dv6 (abs only)

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:00 pm

stuarttaylor00 wrote:My second question is what size router can the SO3 handle? I have future plans that require a 2.2kW router, but at 5.1Kg I'm not sure if it's too heavy for the Z axis drive..
General opinion is that it seems to be too heavy. Thread from a while ago, with useful thoughts about the weight side of things. :)

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... ess#p53327
Shapeoko 3 #516

stuarttaylor00

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:25 am

UltiArjan wrote:I'm running a similar setup, 2.3 board & Makita.
Since I got the 2.3 board I have not had any disconnects (but I did no do any supper long jobs).

I did not do any complicated stuff, no special grounding etc..

The only thing I can think of being different are:
- I twisted all motor cables
- I run from a battery powered windows tablet
- The shapeoko is connected thru a "belkin surgemaster", but its on the same walloutlet as the makita and the vacuumcleaner.
I have a pretty similar setup

- I've twisted all motor cables
- I run it from a battery powered Lenovo laptop\tablet
- Shapeoko & laptop running through UPS\Surge protector
- inline USB2ISO galvanic usb isolator
- Ferrite cores on both ends of shielded USB cable

Mine lasted a full job with the 2.3 board without disconnecting, then second job I couldn't get it finished - it just kept disconnecting at random spots. It's more frustrating then if it just didn't work at all...
AnonymousPerson wrote: General opinion is that it seems to be too heavy. Thread from a while ago, with useful thoughts about the weight side of things. :)

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... ess#p53327
Thanks for that - Yeah I figured 2.2kw would be too big, I think 800-1500w size spindle is probably a good range, but I'm not entirely confident that a spindle would solve the problem, It's a lot of money to spend for something that *might* work.

I will also need a Gecko540 for the same project so maybe I will just bite the bullet and buy the G540 and run the Shapeoko off it for the time being. I need the shapeoko to work to cut the aluminium plates for a new machine.
Shapeoko 3 #1095 - Aluminium wasteboard, homing switches, Modified Z plate, Makita 700 router

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)

emerica

Post by emerica » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:08 am

I fixed the majority of my disconnects with the Dewalt by running a bonding strap from the router mount to the pcb mounts.
Everything is plugged into the same outlet, which is confirmed to be earth grounded.

stuarttaylor00

Post by stuarttaylor00 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 am

I did try running a cable from the router mount to the bolt that holds the arduino cover on, without any change in results, but maybe I'll give it another shot and hook it up to the actual pcb mount and see if that helps. At this stage it can't hurt

2013 Ducati 848 Evo ;)