My new Shapeoko 3 is it just me?

Talk about all things CNC
rocket2004

My new Shapeoko 3 is it just me?

Post by rocket2004 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Okay, so I have had my new S3 for about two weeks, put it together the day that it arrived at my home.
Just a few facts about me (so everyone won't be so quick to jump on me). I own a Polaris Slingshot,
about four months ago I purchased a $5000 Turbo Charging Kit and installed it by myself, I had never
done any (I mean none) sort of auto or cycle mechanical work in my entire life (68 years).

Last year I build a 5000 pound pizza oven on my patio with no plans ( just looked at photos online and taught
myself along the way.
My Slingshot is very fast and I make great pizza.

The last three weeks I have spent at least 60 hours per week reading about cnc, shapeoko, gearotic, meshcam, bcnc, makercam,
and many many others. I have download tons of trial software.

All I want to do with this machine is make wooden gear clocks....I knew it would not be easy, but I had no idea of this.

I am not blaming anyone except myself. I normally get this stuff fairly fast, but not this time.
I make a gear in Gearotic, I post it and send it to Carbide Motion, 1/2 the time I cannot get the
end mill to start at the exact height of the material. I have tried tons of settings.

Other times it starts off okay, then in the middle the whole thing turns to shit.
I have tried to do a tool path in Meshcam, in the software everything looks perfect
then some other type of issue.

I have exchanged countless emails with Art Fenerty at Gearhead Forum. I have tried to
get help from the boys at Carbide 3, not much help there....except for Rob Grsesek.

I could go on and on for hours.....I am so frustrated because I cannot tell if it is ME or the Nature of the Beast.

HELP.....HELP.....HELP...........

AnonymousPerson

Re: My new Shapeoko 3 is it just me?

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:07 pm

rocket2004 wrote:The last three weeks I have spent at least 60 hours per week reading about cnc, shapeoko, gearotic, meshcam, bcnc, makercam,
and many many others. I have download tons of trial software.
This bit is common, probably even normal for people with no mechanical experience when they start with CNC. (that includes me)

The bit about not being able to get things reliably starting in the correct place, means something is off in your process / understanding. Hopefully it'll turn out to be something simple, so you can start getting the results you want, reliably. :D

I haven't used either of the software packages you're mentioning though, so I'm not going to be useful for specific helpful details. Others should be though.

Keep at it. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:07 am

Starting at a specific zero relative to the surface of the stock us a mechanical technique.

It takes a bit of practice and confidence, and also requires that one have a machine w/ a properly tensioned Z-axis belt.

I use a bit of paper usually, though I need to start using the touch plate which I made.

Please post a full set of the files which you are having difficulties w/ what you’ve tried at each step, what you expected to happen, and what actually happened, so that we can troubleshoot.

One thing which may help you is Woodcraft is having a sale on 12"x12" Baltic Birch plywood.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:49 am

I bought a set of brass feeler gauges and use one of them to set my Z height. I use brass so I don't damage the end mill. Then just plug in the thickness of the feeler gauge I am using.

Currently, I am using the 0.356mm thick gauge. I put it down and slowly lower the spindle while moving the gauge. When I get friction, I stop and put the Z height at 0.356. When that feeler gauge gets all scratched up, I'll move on to the next one.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

rocket2004

Post by rocket2004 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:08 am

WillAdams wrote:Starting at a specific zero relative to the surface of the stock us a mechanical technique.

It takes a bit of practice and confidence, and also requires that one have a machine w/ a properly tensioned Z-axis belt.

I use a bit of paper usually, though I need to start using the touch plate which I made.

Please post a full set of the files which you are having difficulties w/ what you’ve tried at each step, what you expected to happen, and what actually happened, so that we can troubleshoot.

One thing which may help you is Woodcraft is having a sale on 12"x12" Baltic Birch plywood.

Will, thanks.
I understand lowering the z axis in small increment to just touch top of material,
I also use a small piece of paper. Then I set the x and y at bottom left of material.

Using Carbide Motion. This is where the trouble begins, when I start project
the bottom edge of end mill does not go back down to top of material but
stays about .25 inches above.

My z- axis belt tension is proper.

When I zero out (before running) do I zero out x,y and z?

I use Gearotic to make gears. Great program and Art Fenerty has been a great help.

Where in Gearotic do you set Z settings for top of material to start job?

I also use a trial vesion of Meshcam.

Art tells me that I can create the gear in Gearotic, create a tool path, post the tool path and run the job
no need for Meshcam. I have had no luck with that workflow yet.

Do you ever use Gearotic?

My problems are not specific to one file or one job but vary accross the board.

Thanks.............Richard.

Is the touch plate just an aid in setting z axis exactly on top of stock?

rocket2004

Post by rocket2004 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:09 am

madhatter wrote:I bought a set of brass feeler gauges and use one of them to set my Z height. I use brass so I don't damage the end mill. Then just plug in the thickness of the feeler gauge I am using.

Currently, I am using the 0.356mm thick gauge. I put it down and slowly lower the spindle while moving the gauge. When I get friction, I stop and put the Z height at 0.356. When that feeler gauge gets all scratched up, I'll move on to the next one.
After feeler gauge do you set z-axis to zero or leave it alone?
Thanks...RR

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:57 am

No, don’t use Gearotic. Isn’t there a step-by-step tutorial?

Remember, everything has to match up:

- you have to accurately measure your stock
- you have to correctly place the dimensions for your stock into your CAM program
- you have to understand where the CAM program wants the origin to be
- you have to then clamp the part down to the machine in a suitable way which will allow you to set the machine home/origin to match

There are times when you will want origin to be set from the top of the stock (V-engraving)

There are times when you will need for the origin to be set from or relative to the bottom of the stock / to the surface of the Wasteboard (through cuts or rabbet joints)

Please start w/ a set of programs which we can help you with.

It’s going to be easier to help you if we do it w/ opensource / free programs which we can use w/o having to d/l some closed source thing which we are then obligated to license. If you’re using a closed source program, then the person getting paid for it should be able to create an end-to-end tutorial.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

rocket2004

Post by rocket2004 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Will,

It sounds to me like this machine is not up to the task, the software is
very weak and it does not accept common G code very well.

HDVideo

Post by HDVideo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:27 pm

Are you generating tool paths and G-code in Gearotic or using some other CAM application for that? If another app, what is it?

Are you selecting the correct post processor when generating G-Code? If you are not selecting Grbl as the Post Processor, you may be generating G-code that is incompatible with the S03.

If you can answer these questions, it might help some of the more experienced S03 users point you in the right direction.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Given that people have been able to make things quite successfully w/ an SO1/2, I don't see how you can blame the hardware:

- Gears: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=553
- Gear as first project: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 791#p34791
- Beginning of a clock build-along: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6186

Given that the G-code which Grbl will accept is documented here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/G-Code and on Github, I don't understand the complaint about what it will accept --- as HDvideo noted the post-processor is key, Also, sometimes one has to edit it by hand.

I've asked repeatedly for you to provide specifics of your difficulties, but you haven't AFAICT. You could at least post the G-code file which you're having difficulty w/

Please contact support@carbide3d.com if you don't want help here on the forums.