You have to laugh at yourself some days. . .

Talk about all things CNC
kayaker

You have to laugh at yourself some days. . .

Post by kayaker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:52 pm

I’ve had this project I’ve been working on this project for a while now. It is the fabrication of a slider for a seat on a rowing training shell/skull. The slider attaches to the bottom of the seat and holds a set of wheels that run in a track and allow the seat to move backwards and forwards as you row. It’s a trainer boat about 16’ long with 10’ long orrs. Something along of the one in the picture below. The one I have was built in the sixties. Needless to say, there are no parts available for them anymore, but hey, who needs parts ‘cause I have an SO3!!!

I’ve spent a lot of time on the CAD based on my measuring up of the one of the 2 sliders that was not broken. Great learning experience for getting into Fusion 360. I’ve probably spent 50 or 60 hours all in on this project to this point. Usual stupid stuff like not taking the time with my measurements of the existing slider, etc. I had 4 for the waste bin before I finally created the drawings with all the correct dimensions. It was beautiful looking! I only had one more procedure to do which was a very simple counter bore for the screws that attach the slider to the seat itself.

I load the part in the beauty little Carbide3D vice and centre up the part to contour the countersink. I hit the send button and the router heads off to home then directly to the spot for the countersink. . . Machine dies. . . Z-axis drops dead. . . Mill cuts right through the part and into the vice. . . Arghhhh!!!

Like every good little hobbyist I immediately reboot everything as it must be a problem with the machine. Go through the setup again and hit the Send button. Exact same thing happens. . . Got to Home. . . Go to place on part for the countersink. . . Z-axis drops dead. Geeze. . .

I do it yet again. And, oh ya, at this point the counter sink is now a hole through the part. All that other work down the drain yet again. Double Arghhh. . .
So I have to get smarter. I get the new version of UGS as that must be the problem. Yes, even though 1.08 work fine yesterday and the day before, I need 1.09 today and all my other hardware obviously knows this.

I do it yet again but with UGS 1.09. Same result. . . Z-axis just crashes. Triple Arghhh. . .

So I try just a clean “air” mill procedure for some aspect of the part I did yesterday. Worked perfectly! I did a couple more “air” mills including the procedure for the countersink. They all work perfectly! Big smile.

I do the setup for the countersink again and hit the Send confident that whatever gremlin was in the machinery was gone. Baam! Z-axis crash AGAIN!

Not happy at this point. So I start doing the math. Vice is ~ ¾” high. Part on edge is 1 1/3” high. Ya, you got it. Not enough room between the top of the part and the limit switch to accommodate the bit length combined with the CAM retraction height. I could have cried about how stupid I was. When the machine travels from Home to the start location, the last thing it does is a retract move. Just enough to hit the limit switch and immediately drop the Z-axis. Took it out of the base and mounted it directly to the aluminum bed. Located the part. Hit Send. . . Worked perfectly.

I’m laughing about it now. And you can bet that is never going to happen again on my machine! :D
Attachments
rowing skull.jpg
rowing skull.jpg (208.78 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Take Care,

Jim. . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever; "when everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking!"

Auarhau

Re: You have to laugh at yourself some days. . .

Post by Auarhau » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:22 am

Yeah, our machines will happily do stupid things! Over and over again. Don't ask me how I know.. :mrgreen:
Lots of things to keep in mind, sometimes we mess up. Live and learn :)
ShapeOko 2. Nema 17 74 oz·in. GAUPS shield on Arduino Uno. DRV8825 Drivers x4 . Kress 1050 FME-1. Z Acme Screw. Threaded inserts table.

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Like all computers They are only as "Smrt" as the user :D
We all have days like that, The fact that you can laugh at your self and take a lesson away from it means your better than average!

CBB

kayaker

Post by kayaker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:34 pm

CrazyBillybob wrote:Like all computers They are only as "Smrt" as the user :D
We all have days like that, The fact that you can laugh at your self and take a lesson away from it means your better than average!

CBB
I swore a fair bit before I got to the laugh part. Darn unfeeling hardware does exactly what this dumbass user tells it to! I'm sure by now, my SO3 is asking itself what it did wrong to cause Edward to send it to my shop. :lol:
Take Care,

Jim. . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever; "when everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking!"

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Don't worry happens to everyone. I constantly hit the z limit on my machine. I find myself sliding the Dewalt up and down in it's holder to accommodate different pieces of stock.
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store