Who has Upgraded their Z Axis?

Talk about all things CNC
Damin69

Who has Upgraded their Z Axis?

Post by Damin69 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:46 am

Who as upgraded thier Z-Axis to a C-Beam Liniar Actuator? How do you like it? I am putting this on my list of updates that I am going to be doing on my machine.

http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-l ... or-bundle/
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

twforeman

Re: Who has Upgraded their Z Axis?

Post by twforeman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:42 am

Pretty tempting. Bookmarked for later consideration.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Gamble

Post by Gamble » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:29 am

Shapeoko has a new z axis plate coming out shortly. I am waiting
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

kayaker

Post by kayaker » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:52 am

Damin69 wrote:Who as upgraded thier Z-Axis to a C-Beam Liniar Actuator? How do you like it? I am putting this on my list of updates that I am going to be doing on my machine.

If you are considering a radical Z-axis conversion, have you looked into the non-captive (internal nut) design linear actuators? You can get up to 18" of travel on a Haydon non-captive linear actuator or 2.5" the captive version with up to 200 lbs. force on a NEMA 23 or up to 500 lbs on a NEMA 34.

http://www.haydonkerk.com/LinearActuato ... fault.aspx

I use one of the Haydon captive linear actuators on a special purpose CNC machine I designed and built. Very cool for my piece of hardware. Not cheap though.
Take Care,

Jim. . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever; "when everybody is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking!"

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:42 am

Damin69 wrote:Who as upgraded thier Z-Axis to a C-Beam Liniar Actuator? How do you like it? I am putting this on my list of updates that I am going to be doing on my machine.

Considered doing this to my SO3, but debating on upgrading to the XXL, which would free up my current rails/frame to do testing on. If the new Z plate is more rigid, i may not proceed, if I still have similar issues as am currently having on some drilling/pocketing operations, I will likely experiment.

I have stiffened my Z axis, need to figure out what is causing some issues on a few projects.

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:49 am

I would look first for a THK KR series Linear actuator on eBay. I've bought 4or5 of them on eBay over the years. All under $100 each. Far more rigid with ground ballscrew. Very precise.

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:56 am

I am not going to use to upgrade a S3. I have Modified S2 so this is just going to be another performance enhancement for my S2.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

ajacocks

Post by ajacocks » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:15 pm

I have already extended my Z-axis, to get all of the ~2.5" of clearance that the gantry design of the S2/X carve is capable of. However, I was also considering upgrading my Z-axis to a C-beam linear actuator. I've done some research, and it seems like a solid design.

Let me know where you end up going, with this.

- Alex
Shapeoko 2 #3250

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:38 pm

I'm not convinced the C-beam is an upgrade over the Shapeoko 3 Z axis -- or even over that of the Shapeoko 2. Sure, the beam looks hefty, and the carriage is nice and thick, but the V-wheels have deep-groove bearings in them, which have some axial play, just like the ones in the Shapeoko V-wheels. With the C-beam wheels closer together than either model Shapeoko, though, the play in the bearings translates into a larger movement of the carriage. On top of that, the whole thing is much thicker than the Shapeoko Z axis, so the spindle will sit further from the X axis, which is bad for leverage again.

I'm saying this without having played with a C-beam, so take it with a grain of salt; but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Now, proper linear actuators at surplus price, that is an improvement.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:26 am

Much like others have done I followed suit. Added aluminum bar. Tapped the steel plate, and bolted the aluminum to the steel. I also added an additional set of V wheels. You can see the second set above the upper spindled mount holes.

Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store