Who has Upgraded their Z Axis?

Talk about all things CNC
jayftee

Re: Who has Upgraded their Z Axis?

Post by jayftee » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Something like this has a chance to be released soon as an upgrade.

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =10#p55834

Ed was looking into that all the way past September, and I was lucky to get onto beta testing that plate.

Can't tell for sure what is going to be the latest iteration of this upgrade, but there is one coming.
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Isn’t a variation of that plate a standard part of the XL/XXL upgrade?

ISTR that Carbide 3D has stated that some replacement / upgrade parts will be available on the shop when they have the chance.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:53 pm

im working on one right now that uses ball screws and hardened shafts with slide bushings.

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:31 am

jayftee wrote:Something like this has a chance to be released soon as an upgrade.

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =10#p55834

Ed was looking into that all the way past September, and I was lucky to get onto beta testing that plate.

Can't tell for sure what is going to be the latest iteration of this upgrade, but there is one coming.
Again for me this is not and upgrade for a S3. I am looking to upgrade my S2.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

DigitalDaze

Post by DigitalDaze » Sat May 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Damin69 wrote:Who as upgraded thier Z-Axis to a C-Beam Liniar Actuator? How do you like it? I am putting this on my list of updates that I am going to be doing on my machine.

http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-l ... or-bundle/
I might be a little dense, but how exactly would this upgrade it?

I too would like to upgrade my z axis. but I can't picture how this works.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat May 07, 2016 9:44 pm

I can picture how it works, but I disagree that it's an upgrade. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:27 am

cvoinescu wrote:I can picture how it works, but I disagree that it's an upgrade. :)
I do not have a S3 so can not say if I think it would be an upgrade for that. but there looks to be more surface area with the OX wheels than the standard V wheels in the linear actuator. I have seen at least one that has changed out to this set up and there is way less play in the Z. I have not found anything yet on ebay in this price range as of Yet. I have not pulled the gun on this purchase yet. But I still have not ruled it out.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun May 08, 2016 11:11 am

Damin69 wrote:but there looks to be more surface area with the OX wheels than the standard V wheels in the linear actuator
How do you figure? The V-slot running surface is under 2.5 mm wide on either side (an 1.8 mm thick profile wall sloped at 45 degrees gives just over 2.5 mm, but there's always a radius at any edge, so 2.5 mm is being generous). The Shapeoko 3 V-wheel has a groove about 2.8 mm either side, and almost all of it engages the profile (not all of it because the profile edge rounding is a little wider than the groove in the middle of the V-wheel). If anything, the Shapeoko 3 wheel has a little more contact area than the V-slot wheel, not less. Of course, a 10-15% difference in contact surface area is not the entire story. With a much larger distance between the wheels, and shorter spacers, the Shapeoko 3 wheels are stressed less under the same sideways load on the spindle.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:26 am

DigitalDaze wrote:
Damin69 wrote:Who as upgraded thier Z-Axis to a C-Beam Liniar Actuator? How do you like it? I am putting this on my list of updates that I am going to be doing on my machine.

http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-l ... or-bundle/
I might be a little dense, but how exactly would this upgrade it?

I too would like to upgrade my z axis. but I can't picture how this works.
Sorry I realize this is an older thread. Its an upgrade because the z-axis plate is now u-shaped which adds more rigidity. The initial kits were just flat stock and its now being learned theyre not rigid enough. Its actually impressive how simple of a manufacturing fix this was.
Shapeoko 3 #??? (missing serial plate)