Portable stand/Vertical storage

Talk about all things CNC
joebananas10

Portable stand/Vertical storage

Post by joebananas10 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:25 pm

I was trying to find a post, I swear I saw several weeks ago, but can't find now regarding a vertical storage stand for the SO3. Since I got my SO3 last August it's lived on top of my table saw, which was a very good height but makes it very difficult to really do projects in the shop. My shop is my garage and must function as a garage so everything has to be portable. I thought portable, vertical storage would be an awesome idea so this weekend I drew up the design, I could have swore I saw in another post, and built it. After it was finished, I concluded that vertical may not be all that valuable.
Luckily, I had most of the material in my scrap pile. I needed to buy the 4x4 pieces, wheels, and some hardware but all the plywood was scrap. For the 2x4's I just cut down from scrap 2x6s and 2x10s. And now I freed up my table saw. YAY!!! :mrgreen:
Sketchup.png
Sketchup.png (83.95 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
IMG_20160701_193600.jpg
IMG_20160701_193600.jpg (417.15 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
IMG_20160701_193644.jpg
IMG_20160701_193644.jpg (462.44 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

CastIrony

Re: Portable stand/Vertical storage

Post by CastIrony » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Was it this one?

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7132

Anyway, that looks really cool!
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

joebananas10

Post by joebananas10 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:42 pm

CastIrony wrote:Was it this one?

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7132

Anyway, that looks really cool!
Thanks but no, that wasn't it. That was the only thread I could find when I was looking too. I wanted to give the OP of the thread I saw credit for the design. I drew mine based on the picture I saw. Oh well.

sjj47

Post by sjj47 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:55 pm

The drawback to the design shown is that you still have a large footprint for the stand, whether you have the S3 flat or vertical.
I saw a design (on YouTube, I think) for a table that swung down from a wall. Smaller footprint.

I had a similar problem. I originally built a table on casters, but found there was too much sway when the router was moving -- throwing off the accuracy. My current approach is a table bolted to the wall, with drawers underneath. Still a big footprint, but at least it's (somewhat) out of the ay, and I can get to my tablesaw. ;)
--------------------------------
Shapeoko 3 # 0761 - DW611 - Limit switches - probe
Current tool chains: Inkscape > MakerCAM > UGS | bCNC & F-Engrave > UGS | bCNC

joebananas10

Post by joebananas10 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:18 am

sjj47 wrote:The drawback to the design shown is that you still have a large footprint for the stand, whether you have the S3 flat or vertical.
I saw a design (on YouTube, I think) for a table that swung down from a wall. Smaller footprint.
I agree, that's why I said I didn't find much value in the vertical capability in the original post.
sjj47 wrote:I had a similar problem. I originally built a table on casters, but found there was too much sway when the router was moving -- throwing off the accuracy. My current approach is a table bolted to the wall, with drawers underneath. Still a big footprint, but at least it's (somewhat) out of the ay, and I can get to my tablesaw. ;)
I don't have a problem with the machine moving. I have two fixed position caster in the rear and two locking, spinning caster in the front. The whole thing is quite stable while the machine is in operation and the two wheels are locked. Do you have pix of the wall mounted table with drawers?