Whats the best deal on 3d printers these days?

Talk about all things CNC
kristenanne77

Whats the best deal on 3d printers these days?

Post by kristenanne77 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:31 am

Its been a while since I asked about this... and if there is another post like this please direct me to it so there won't be duplicate posts.
My son and his wife are having a baby and I thought to myself... "What is the best present to give a newborn? The answer immediate came to me ... A 3D Printer!
So I am going to start looking, but hope some of you can save me some legwork.

Thanks
K

CastIrony

Re: Whats the best deal on 3d printers these days?

Post by CastIrony » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:10 am

I've been looking at the Trinus printer, because it's relatively inexpensive, has a really simple modular design that feels vaguely shapeoko-ish, and has had good preliminary reviews from people who've seen test units. It's still really early though, and I'll probably wait until they've been shipping actual printers to real customers for a while.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:02 pm

The WanHao i3 is a pretty good deal, if you get a glass plate for the print bed, and print off a few extra parts to stiffen it up.
(There's a very active group for it on Thingiverse)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:36 pm

At one point in time I wanted to work up a list of 3D printer designs suited for fabricating using a Shapeoko for: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... er_Designs --- there are a couple noted for this, and we'd be glad of any others.

If buying a new / complete machine, hard to beat: https://printrbot.com/shop/assembled-simple-metal/ --- plans are at: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/print ... ition-1405 --- it would be neat to see one adapted to cutting w/ a Shapeoko.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Gadgetman! wrote:The WanHao i3 is a pretty good deal, if you get a glass plate for the print bed, and print off a few extra parts to stiffen it up.
Oh yeah, that one looks cool too. I think they recently announced the i3 Plus, with some nice upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:00 pm

I design 3D printers for a living.

Get a Printrbot if you are looking under 1k. They are a decent company which support their products, and make a good printer for that price range.

You can get cheaper printers which work for a little while, but if you plan to do more than 200hrs of printing , spring for something that might still work in a year.

~Andrew

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:40 am

I just bought a Prusa i3 Mk2 ($700) from Josef Prusa. It should be arriving tomorrow. It has a very large build volume (~10"x9"x8"), awesome heated bed design for uniform heating, E3D extruder, a RamBo, and an interesting new 9-point bed leveling that corrects for bed angle (most printers only do this), bed curvature, and even the skewing of X-Y axes. Prusa's team re-wrote the leveling code in Marlin to do it. There's a good read about it on their blog site (http://www.prusaprinters.com). The nice thing is that Josef Prusa seems like he's now officially to supporting his machine design with his business and keeping ahead of all of the copies by pushing the firmware and state-of-the-art ahead. I'm all for giving money to those that give back.

That said, I have a Printrbot Simple Metal. It was cheap at the time I bought it (18 months ago), but, to be honest, I'm not very happy with it. It does the job, but it's limited in what you can do with it. It's mainly PLA only. ABS or anything else is problematic because the heated bed doesn't get hot enough for prints to stick to it well without adhesion assistance (aka being a royal pain to remove). My main problem with my Printrbot is its' cantilever beam design. I get why they did it. Basically to get rid of one Z-axis motor and driver and make the build cheaper. But the trade of having this huge massive Y-axis is getting really bad resonance issues with the machine when it goes into corners. Meaning, corners are way bigger than designed (things don't fit together) and the surfaces have really bad waviness around these areas. You have to print really REALLY slow to get a decent print. Plus, the continual support from Printrbot itself is pretty lacking. You buy a budget machine and that's all you get. They move on to the next thing to sell you.

If I were to buy another 3D printer, rather than the Printrbot, I would have looked into the Lulzbot Taz's. My workplace has 4 of them and are in constant use by students. There has rarely been any failed prints or issues with print quality outside of user error. You pay a lot for it, but they are built well and are designed to go the distance. See their 3d printing farm that makes their machine parts. If anything, this is the best testing ground for reliability and proves a lot.

Anyhow, I'll let you know how the Prusa i3 Mk2 goes. I bought it mainly to investigate the bed leveling routines. It's just a really interesting solution and the concept could be used in so many other ways.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:59 am

CastIrony wrote:
Gadgetman! wrote:The WanHao i3 is a pretty good deal, if you get a glass plate for the print bed, and print off a few extra parts to stiffen it up.
Oh yeah, that one looks cool too. I think they recently announced the i3 Plus, with some nice upgrades.
The i3 plus still needs the same supports as the older model. Also, I suspect that the fan duct is similar to the one on the older models, but not so similar that the 'diicooler' replacement will fit.
(After I upgraded to the diicooler, I could begin to do spans of up to 30mm without too much mess)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Shook

Post by Shook » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:09 pm

I have a Tevo Tarantula (http://tevo3dprinterstore.com/products/ ... cd-as-gift) that was under $250 shipped from China. It's my first 3d printer and I'm still satisfied with it after a few months. Caveat emptor however - you have to have the right mindset buying something at this level. It's not like an inkjet printer that just works as soon as you plug it in. (Although, my first calibration cube print was successful).

You will spend hours assembling it, tweaking it, using it to bootstrap more rigid components. The STLs for the components are on the Facebook group, so you could conceivably start off by cutting your own aluminum plates to replace the acrylic pieces they supply.

I enjoy fiddling with it. For others that's an unwelcome hassle. No right or wrong opinion, but you should know what you're willing to accept before you purchase one.
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

cozmicray

Post by cozmicray » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Take a look at Folgertech
https://folgertech.com/

The FT-5 will give you 300 x 300 x 400mm print volume
for $500 kit
https://folgertech.com/products/folger- ... rinter-kit

:?: