Joining Shapeoko 3 rails

Talk about all things CNC
krtwood

Re: Joining Shapeoko 3 rails

Post by krtwood » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:44 pm

UPS and Fedex will both do up to 108" in length, so a 4' machine is certainly possible to ship conventionally but may be cheaper to go LTL depending on the size and weight of the whole package.

I know a number of YouTube people that got free 1000mm X-Carves and then got rid of them because they were taking up too much space for how often they got used. So I'm not surprised they have started to offer something in between but a little surprised they haven't offered something rectangular rather than square.

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:05 am

krtwood wrote:a little surprised they haven't offered something rectangular rather than square.
I totally agree. Square machines don't make a lot of sense for a few reasons, one is space, another is that board stock is almost never square. You can get the S3 in a rectangular format, but it's a fixed size. I'm expanding my S2 right now to 1500mm x 1000mm, which is a challenging span with regular Makerslide. But, I'd jump on the S3 extrusion if they offered it in lengths that I could customize.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:27 am

Don't look at me. I went w/ an XL and voted for 16" x 48".
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

krtwood

Post by krtwood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:15 am

Took a break from this over the winter but I finally got the machine to the point I was able to start running an actual job.

Overview:
cnc-finished.jpg
cnc-finished.jpg (94.14 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Close up of the DC, which is mounted to the X carriage (where the limit switch is supposed to go). I will probably take another pass at this in the future as it's a little cumbersome to get on and off, but it does work well. It took some trial and error on how to get the hose held so that it wouldn't interfere with the drag chain.
cnc-dc.jpg
cnc-dc.jpg (168.92 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
First run. This was over several sessions due to time restraints but it went across the transition between the two rail sections many times without any lost steps or anything obvious on the parts.
cnc-first job.jpg
cnc-first job.jpg (102.77 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Really excited to finally be putting it to work. I still need to machine the front edge of the table parallel to the gantry and make a table to fill in that section I left open in the front but I'll save that for a later time.

DStanworth

Post by DStanworth » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Their website says "it's the most hackable machine in it's class, Customize it to suit your needs"!

Yet I contacted them and they will not sell the rails. That seems backwards to me. They promote modifying the machine but won't sell you the parts. I would have to pay $475 for an upgrade kit plus shipping to get my hands on two rails. That's just wrong.

Inventables sells all their products parts and pieces separately. What is the problem?
I'm suddenly not such a big fan of this company. I bought it because I assumed I could buy parts and hack it like it is advertised!