MaslowCnC 4' x 8' hanging router...

Talk about all things CNC
Gadgetman!

MaslowCnC 4' x 8' hanging router...

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:19 pm

Has anyone seen the new MaslowCnC?

http://www.maslowcnc.com

sub-$500 hanging router for large workpieces...

The idea is fun, but Im a bit concerned about the execution...
What happens if it has to cut across an area that has already been cut into, for example.

It currently does't have a Z-axis, so you have to manually adjust the cutting depth, but it's supposedly in the works.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

RoguePirin

Re: MaslowCnC 4' x 8' hanging router...

Post by RoguePirin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:18 pm

I have to admit, I am intrigued. I like that it is closed loop. Being able to cut pieces out of a full panel would be useful.

I, too, have concerns about it though. Since the sheet of wood is standing mostly vertical, I'd be concerned about bigger pieces tearing out, from gravity, as the final cut is made. And, as you stated, the lack of Z-axis would mean manually stopping to adjust the depth each pass.

But, for $350 (+ s/h?).....
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:28 pm

Yeah, it's an interesting idea --- if you planned your cuts right, it'd be okay for cutting out large-scale things from plywood, and doing engraving in plywood --- it's not something you're going to use for fine / precision furniture or other work, but to make all the 4'x8' plywood stuff which people keep doing designs for, it may be just the ticket.

My inclination would be to pair it w/ a vacuum clamp / dust collection system.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:03 am

RoguePirin wrote:Being able to cut pieces out of a full panel would be useful.
It would, except that you probably won't want to cut a full piece. Because it's basically a polargraph that cuts instead of draws, you'll be limited to some area in the centre of the sheet if you're at all concerned about resolution/accuracy. As you move towards the corners, each step is longer than the last. I notice that all of his test cuts on the videos are in the centre of the sheet, which makes me think you probably don't want to try anything too big.

Also, while I often use climb cuts on my machine, I wouldn't want to risk it on that one.

DRobs86

Post by DRobs86 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:38 am

I saw this on the cnc sub reddit. I didn't want to knock a fellow maker, but I have my concerns too.

I commend them on an interesting approach.

I do get tired of seeing people go on kickstarter less than completely prepared. The "we will have a Z" is a pretty crucial claim I think. A Z stage is not inherently difficult, but when you already have a design built without one and pricing set excluding one.... (maybe they priced it in, I am not sure), it places some risk into the matter.

I just hope for their sake they end up with a Z that can come out of the stock. I am not sure people realize how limiting it is to never do any interior features that are isolated from other features. It sounds like right now you would have to stop and set up and constantly adjust the Z down after each pass. Imagine wanting to do a large piece with a word engraved across.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Or cutting a design with many pockets...

These people have run a KS before, for another cheap CnC, so I expect they know how to bring it to market.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Well, the KS goes live tomorrow, and there's no Z-axis, yet.

Their accuracy issues(0.4mm is NOT acceptable in my opinion.) are still present.
And I expect that parts cut away from center are distorted.

Wgy are they distorted?
Because the chains are mounted in the corners of the router plate, not in the center. This allows it to wobble or swing.
One solution would be 2 x laxy-susan type bearings placed around the router to attach the chains to.
Weird guy...