Additive Aerospace Limit Switches and new Z-Axis plate

Talk about all things CNC
Shook

Additive Aerospace Limit Switches and new Z-Axis plate

Post by Shook » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:09 pm

So I finally got around to installing the new Z-Axis plate upgrade. Unfortunately when I tried to home the machine, the plate that holds the Z-axis limit switch is blocking the upward travel of the router.

Has anyone else worked through this issue?

I sent a P.M. to Fablicator, but I haven't seen too much activity from him since August, so I don't know if he'll see it.
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Additive Aerospace Limit Switches and new Z-Axis plate

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:16 pm

I had to bolt on a right angle support to trigger Tim Foreman's Z-axis limit.

Post a photo?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Shook

Post by Shook » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:31 am

Here's a top-down photo. Basically, the router body is hitting the horizontal plate that holds the Z-axis switch. Looking at it from this angle, I'm thinking that shorter standoffs just might do the trick.

https://goo.gl/photos/4mLYoWhthwsD66z58

FWIW - I emailed Fablicator through his storefront and he responded to me within an hour or so. Nice to see individuals supporting stuff well beyond normal timelines/expectations.
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Agree --- won't look as nice, but use shorter standoffs (use stacks of washers to work up the size, then measure), swap the switch to the other side of the plate and you should be good to go.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

AZArtisan

Post by AZArtisan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 pm

I was having a similar problem with the Dewalt hitting the upper part of the Z-Axis plate when it isn't seated almost all the way down in the collar. I rotated the Dewalt slightly so the cord and switch are at almost 45 degrees to the X-Rail, instead of parallel, and it allows it to clear even when raised in the collar/bracket.

Shook

Post by Shook » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:01 am

FWIW, I 3D-printed new, shorter standoffs.

a) Fusion 360 wins over Solidworks for ease of adding internal threads to designs. I spent two hours with videos and write-ups of adding threads in Solidworks knowing that the answer was in Fusion, but not believing it could really be that difficult in solidworks.
b) I eyeballed the dimensions, so we'll see how it ends up working. The original standoffs looked to be 1 inch tall and 1/2 inch wide with a 3/16 screw in there. My Horrible Freight caliper registered .187in. I could be wrong and it could just be a #10. Apparently, they're close enough to work. I ended up making them 3/4 inches tall and 1/2 inch wide. What I didn't think about is that the screws aren't the same length. It looks like there's two 1/2 inch screws and two 3/4" screws, so I need to grab some replacements before I re-assemble it.
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

Shook

Post by Shook » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:07 pm

For the record - it appears that 18mm standoffs (just a mm under 3/4" ) appear to work with the switches moved to the outside of the bracket.

This is combined with turning the router 45 degrees. Thanks to AZArtisan for the suggestion.
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:17 am

Hi Guys,

Just noticed the thread.

Looks like my assembly of the machine also has the router rotated at 45deg, hence why I never noticed the problem.

Debating whether to increase the C cutout of the Z axis, but I'm afraid it will affect the rigidity of the part too much.

~Andrew