v wheel options

Talk about all things CNC
JeromyReno

v wheel options

Post by JeromyReno » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:09 pm

first off i have broken a lot of wheels but do not let this discourage you, your wheels will be fine if you keep them clean. my machine has run for hundreds and hundreds of hours. cutting hard metals and hard plastics pretty much on a daily basis.

but has anyone tried other wheels? steel, aluminum, urethane?

i know steel ones would wear out the rail but if i had to replace the rails every few years i wouldn't mind considering how much i use it.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: v wheel options

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Unfortunately, steel wheels on aluminum is _not_ a matter of years, but much briefer timeframes.

If you use your machine hard, then it's either consider the Delrin wheels to be consumable, or switch to steel wheels on hardened steel rails --- If memory serves, CalebPeters did that when he scratch-built an SO3.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:28 pm

yeah i have tooling to make delrin wheels in a different shape and size but i could make another set for these wheels too. im not super worried about breaking them, they are not super expensive or anything, just seeing if there is room to improve.

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:07 am

You may want to give Openbuilds wheels a try, the tires are full width of the bearings. Only downside I have experienced is the clearance on the 9 mm belt clips. You can adjust and correct the clearance

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:36 pm

I can't find the thread here at the moment but there has been much discussion over the wheels and composition. I think the end result from someones review of the material properties of each option was that the delrin wheels were the best. The steel ware out the rails too quickly, polycarb chip too easy, urethane deform under load too much,I don't recall what was said about the aluminum if anything...

AJInventions

Post by AJInventions » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:05 am

CrazyBillybob wrote:I can't find the thread here at the moment but there has been much discussion over the wheels and composition. I think the end result from someones review of the material properties of each option was that the delrin wheels were the best. The steel ware out the rails too quickly, polycarb chip too easy, urethane deform under load too much,I don't recall what was said about the aluminum if anything...
Has anyone looked into UHMW PE?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk