Is there a Shapeoko 4 in the works?

Talk about all things CNC
stioc

Re: Is there a Shapeoko 4 in the works?

Post by stioc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:35 pm

I too used leadscrews on mine because it was a much simpler and cheaper setup. I too have never noticed any whipping issues granted my base is pretty small and the movement I've configured isn't crazy fast (but quite adequate given the smaller stepper motors) at 800 mm/min which is roughly 32ipm or 1/2" per sec.

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:14 pm

I think that if I were dreaming about the next SO iteration, I would like to see:

And this is not to take anything away from the current design. I really enjoy my SO3 and use it almost daily, and with all my time on it and the things I do and the things I'd like to do, these are my limitations I am running into.

1) A larger cutting area. I'd like to be able to cut a 48"x48" sheet of plywood in the next ShapeOko.

2) A greater Z range and instead of the stamped brackets that hold the Y axis extrusions being tied together, they were individual brackets that had hole patterns the same as the 1-2-3 blocks, so you could unbolt the entire assembly from the waste board/frame assembly and raise it 1" to accommodate thicker material. Maybe the rigid lead screw assembly would be a good idea for the extra travel?

3) A ~800W - 1,200W water cooled spindle / controller / mounting kit. Yes, I know there are a lot of options out there. Lots of how to's, but I am willing to pay a reputable company the money to package everything I need into a single purchase that I know will work provided I do my part and assemble everything properly.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

sfxphil

Post by sfxphil » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:25 pm

madhatter that sounds like an ideal machine

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm

My SO (started as a SO1) will get the ability to cut 48" one way on the next large rebuild...
I already have the 1500mm Makerslides in storage.

While I wouldn't mind the same capacity on the X-axis, too, but there's space constraints in effect(I like to be able to park my car in the garage...) and the cost of shipping a 1500mm Megarail 80 would probably be... painful...
(The 1000mm MegaRail was expensive enough... )

Lead screws are nice. Maybe I'll add them later?
Except that I don't plan on doing much metal cutting, so I don't need the added stiffness to fight off deflection caused by stretching belts. I would rather be able to do 2500mm/m rapid movements.
(With the carriage design I'm working on, I expect very little deflection of the Z-axis. Maybe I can finish it soon, now that my car is out of the garage again... )

The way I see it, what you REALLY got when you bought a kit was some mechanical parts, some electronics, and A WHOLE LOT of PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE in the art of building a 2.5D CNCmill.

There's so much distilled wisdom here on the forum and in the wiki that some less scrupulous companies would have charged for access to it.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.