Shapeoko xxl

Talk about all things CNC
Williams94

Shapeoko xxl

Post by Williams94 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Hello all. This Monday I will place my order for the XXL and the Ttrack clamp kit. I will get the probe when they have stock.
A little about me, I’m a hobbiest woodwork and have built and sold a few Farmhouse tables. So this a new adventure for my wife and I. My question is should I go ahead and get carve pro or should I use what came with it first then get vcarve pro?
My wife thinks we should start with vcarve since I would buy it later. She feels if I have to learn it might as well as learn from the beginning.
Thanks for your advice

madhatter

Re: Shapeoko xxl

Post by madhatter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:20 pm

Well, the great thing about buying Vectric V-Carve Desktop is there is no monetary penalty for buying it vs. the pro version first. I recently bought the desktop version a couple of weeks ago, but due to an unfortunate loss of my vacuum system, I am kind of dead in the water for cutting anything that removes material, so I have been just playing with the diamond drag engraving feature.

I mostly just use Inkscape and makercam.com for most of my g-code, but now that I have the V-Carve, I have a feeling I will transition to the Vectric software as I become more comfortable with it.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

Rdpowell2

Re: Shapeoko xxl

Post by Rdpowell2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Personally I would get VCarve Pro now, desktop limits project size to 24” which is less than your XXL limits. You can be learning while you wait for the XXL to arrive. You can also download Carbide Create and Motion and be prepared when ready to cut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Impossible is not an option!
Shapeko 3 #370, Feb 2015, Upgraded to XL Oct 2017