Shapeoko 3 Z-carriage mod and electronics enclosure update

Talk about all things CNC
wunderaa

Shapeoko 3 Z-carriage mod and electronics enclosure update

Post by wunderaa » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm

It's been a little while since I've posted. I wanted to share a couple of updates I'm currently undertaking.

- Z-Carriage Modification
I've wanted to tackle this for a while. Basically this consists of removing the electronics from the X-beam and developing a rear plate that attaches to and stiffens the Z-carriage. As seen in the picture, this design will strongly mimic other CNC designs out there. I added on a top/bottom Openrail v-rail to the X-beam and made a plate to ride on it and standoffs that attach to the existing Z-carriage. For better stiffness yet, the next update would be to move to a lead-screw for the Z, but that will be later.

- Electronics Update
Removing the electronics from the x-beam gives an opportunity to enclose them completely. This project will really tidy up the unit and will make it much easier to increase the size of the unit without having to re-wire everything.

No guarantee on a time-frame for the updates, but I'll post as I go.
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG (926.61 KiB) Viewed 612 times
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG (519.49 KiB) Viewed 612 times
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG (574.33 KiB) Viewed 612 times

wunderaa

Re: Shapeoko 3 Z-carriage mod and electronics enclosure upda

Post by wunderaa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:13 am

Finally made some progress. control box is mostly finished and now moving onto finalizing carriage mechanicals and field wiring.
Attachments
IMG_2287 (1).JPG
IMG_2287 (1).JPG (52.59 KiB) Viewed 546 times
IMG_2286 (1).JPG
IMG_2286 (1).JPG (48.98 KiB) Viewed 546 times
IMG_2285 (1).JPG
IMG_2285 (1).JPG (75.48 KiB) Viewed 546 times

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm

That looks great. I love the industrial control components. Can you explain what they are all for?

That Z axis mod looks like a great idea - I might have to implement it myself.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Looks like the same Carbide 3D control board, with a shed load of extra bits. As Tim mentioned, it'd be super interesting to know what all of the bits are and do. :D

On a more mundane note, what's the grey plastic mount thing they're all on? Looks kind of like a big brother to breadboards or perfboard? :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

wunderaa

Post by wunderaa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:03 pm

twforeman wrote:That looks great. I love the industrial control components. Can you explain what they are all for?

That Z axis mod looks like a great idea - I might have to implement it myself.
Truth be told, this very similar in function to my previous box https://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopi ... t=wunderaa

With the modification to the carriage, it was necessary to move the Carbide board off of the gantry, so that's what kicked off the project.

As far as what you're looking at...there are 3 power supplies (5V, 12V and 24V). I am using an Ethernet breakout board in the box and on the unit to transfer signals from hall effect prox sensors and low voltage. There is a laser driver board there. Then a relay board that takes care of turning on the spindle and vacuum as well as controlling the laser when it is enabled.

The buttons don't have labels yet, but I have E-stop (Normally opened has a ground pin to go to the e-stop input when pressed and normally closed has 24V that controls the spindle and router), bypass for spindle/router (both work on M3 command, but this button lets you run them outside of a program), activate laser (turns on power to laser driver and laser fan).

As for the grey plastic mount board, that's a backer board that came with the enclose I purchased. It worked great for holding din rail and standoffs.

https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industries-N ... Src=detail

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks wunderaa, that's good info. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516