cutting box joints

Talk about all things CNC
Jeff

cutting box joints

Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Will the Shapeoko xxl allow the Router to extend past the front rail far enough to cut out box joints on a vertical mounted 1/2" thick piece of wood.
Jeff

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: cutting box joints

Post by WillAdams » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Yes, within the limits of the ~2 3/16" overhang.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 am

So I would design a rectangle say 1/2" wide and 6" long then decide on how many pins i want and how wide they would be,say 1/2"
Then create a pocket toolpath to that would cut a 1/2" pocket.
Make some sort of a fixture to hold the wood so the end was up.
Set the wood in place so it was high enough above the end rail so the bit could not crash into the rail.
Touch off and run the job
I know that there would be other considerations to facture in,
But so far does this sound right
Jeff

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:10 am

I'm interested in cutting box joints as well. What are your ideas for the jig to hold the wood?

How to mount the jig to the SO3? How to hold the wood in the jig? Jig material: wood or metal? Will bolting a jig to the SO3 frame cause the frame to warp.?

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 am

I got a email From Will awhile back and he is working on a program to do box joints. Not sure how far a long he is. But he also said as i remember he was also going to have plans for a jig.
I will be able to start on my jig soon, I have to get another table built at our summer home so I can bring my machine here to the lake.
I am thinking of a jig that will be attached to the front of my torsion box top. it will be made of wood so that if there is ever any problem there will only be wood to get in the way of the bits.
It will be removable. It will have a adjustable bottom that will move up and down to accommodate different lenght wood. Something adjustable on both sides to accommodate at least 2 or 4 pieces of wood so that the pins and tails can be cut at the same time.
Jeff

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:07 pm

It's pretty much done:

http://community.carbide3d.com/t/cnc-fi ... t-box/8880

I'll hopefully get the last couple of lid features finished, then work out the fixtures and jigs for holding the stock and drilling holes for the hinges worked out presently.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)