I hate UNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about all things CNC
rpe

I hate UNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by rpe » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:38 am

I don't like UNO the game or the controller board. The controller board has been a pain in my you know what since I first tried to install the software. I have it all built and seems to work right except when I run G-code sender. It won't find it. I think I will go with my HobbyCNC board. Much easier to deal with. The only thing is I will have to buy new steppers. Just had to blow some steam. Thanks.

levlandau2

Re: I hate UNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by levlandau2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:41 am

Can you describe what the exact problem you are having is?

I recall there were some issues with the Uno being detected if the correct baud rate was not selected while connecting. Were you able to upload the hex file to arduino? Can you run upload and run a simple sketch on the Uno.

Share the symptoms and we can help you figure it out :-).

ZachKaplan

Post by ZachKaplan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:48 am

What kind of computer are you using?

Did the Uno come from Inventables or another source?

alpha

Post by alpha » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:05 pm

If you hate UNO you may like Mau Mau? At least you can play it with a regular deck.

Regarding the other UNO, what OS do you use with GCODE SENDER? And what version of GCODE SENDER do you have?

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 am

Not sure if I mentioned this anywhere, but I've been personally flashing the arduinos that come with both the Full and the Premium Kits. I've been doing them 50 units at a time (one after another). To speed up the process, I wrote a vb script (windows only) that finds the arduino's com port, and applies the hex file. When it's finished, it beeps, and I plug in the next one, wait for the computer to recognize it, then re-run the script. Rinse, lather, repeat.

So, needless to say, I've seen quite a few Unos over the last 6 weeks!

Late last week I noticed something weird. There was an Uno that didn't work. Windows found it's com port, and my vbscript found it, but I couldn't push the hex file. It kept erroring out on me. For no good reason really.

Because I had plenty of Unos to go around, I simply set it aside and continued on with my task.

last night, I was about 5 units in to another batch when I ran across another one that wouldn't flash! This time, instead of carrying on, I stopped to take a look at it.

The uno is an SMD version, but, it looked different than the other ones I had flashed before it. The SMD chip was soldered at a 45D angle [like this] and the others (the ones I could flash) were parallel with the bottom of the board [like this].

What does your chip look like?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

rpe

Post by rpe » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:22 am

I got it!!!!!! My UNO drivers where corrupt (reinstalled them). It connected and I issued the y10 and the motor moved but it would not move again. I checked all my connections but nothing. I went to Reactive's site and downloaded GRBL 0.8a and uploaded it to UNO and now it works. I had originally used the AtomSoft 0.8a hex file. Thats all for tonight. Stay tuned for more questions.
alpha wrote:If you hate UNO you may like Mau Mau? At least you can play it with a regular deck.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

phlamingo

Post by phlamingo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:06 am

At least you had a real problem. I got my knickers in a twist and whined until Inventables sent me a replacement Arduino, only to discover that IT WAS ALL MY FAULT.

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =930#p7788

-Phlamingo
---
ShapeOko Batch 2, Number 571, dual-Y motors, Y belts outside, odd anchors. Not operational at the moment: needs rewiring.

rpe

Post by rpe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:43 am

I have it up and running. I ran my first job with a marker. But it printed a mirror image. If you hold it in front of a mirror it looks right.

rpe

Post by rpe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:55 am

Uno and myself are getting along a little better.