carving wooden ducks

Talk about all things CNC
Ric

carving wooden ducks

Post by Ric » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:35 am

I would like to carve some Korean ducks with my shapeoko 2, but my design skills are pretty poor; I certainly am unable to draw them into Fusion360, and suspect I need to have them scanned in some way. If I can get a model of a duck into Fusion360, I was thinking I would ‘cut’ it in half, and then mill the left and right sides separately, and then glue them together. Does anyone have any suggestions about affordable ways to get a model of one of these ducks that I can import into Fusion360?
Thanks
2019-02-12_IMG_7885 copy.JPG
2019-02-12_IMG_7885 copy.JPG (333.39 KiB) Viewed 679 times

GerryAttrick

Re: carving wooden ducks

Post by GerryAttrick » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:17 am

No idea but keen to find out :roll:

BenL

Post by BenL » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:52 am

This is not super hard, you can do this with a phone camera and a computer that had the proper hardware (Nvidia graphics card I believe, I think some software doesn't have this limitation). This is done through a process called photogrammetry and with a good number of photos a very accurate model can be generated. This video from Prusa research will help you generate an STL file from a collection of photos using free software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0EhSi-vvc

Once you have an stl, just import into Fusion and you are good to go. Winston Moy has a few videos on how to generate gcode from STL files that are quite good if you need further help.

--Ben
Shapeoko 3 Serial #4077- threaded inserts in waste board, makita router, suck-it dustboot

Ric

Post by Ric » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks for this suggestion. I watched the video, and it looks promising. The ducks are small enough that I could easily take photos from any angle. Hopefully the software doesn't require too much artistic talent, because I'm lacking in that area. So I plan to read more about this and try it, since I haven't found any other options at this point. I had been hoping there was some sort of cheap 3D scanning service, but I haven't found one.