Dual Drive Kit?

Talk about all things CNC
edwardrford

Dual Drive Kit?

Post by edwardrford » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi All,

I've had a lot of people (a couple dozen) ask me over the last few weeks about the components required to setup a dual drive unit. I have some questions for the group as a whole. Now that I'm at inventables, I feel like I'm in a position to package these things together and offer a one-click solution for a lot of the things that people want to do with their machines.

Would anyone be interested in a dual drive kit? Or would be it be more beneficial to package up my existing upgrade parts along with another stepper motor and the supporting hardware? Or, do you have another suggestion?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

dointhangs

Re: Dual Drive Kit?

Post by dointhangs » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 pm

Edward this is a great idea. As many upgrade kits as you can sounds great along with electronics enclosures, maybe bed upgrades (esp now that you carry regular extrusion), etc, etc.
I have a request that is a bit more complex - its easy to make suggestions when you dont have to be the one to implement them :-)
What about "swapping" during upgrades if its done at the original time of ordering?
So lets say I want the z-axis upgrade as I am buying a kit - I could click that option and my shapeoko would show up with that MINUS the stock z-axis parts. (A major note is that the cost of the upgrade would therefore be somewhat less than buying it separate as the stock stuff wouldnt ever be sent). The absolute coolest would be if this was possible to do for makerslide lengths. I totally recycled the wiki assembly pdf after printing it out but I have some stock lengths of makerslide I havent found a good use for just yet, and maybe never will.
I guess the hard part to this is that many people like myself are entry level at the time of first ordering and will just always default to the stock setup and later get upgrades piecemeal. But there may be a bunch of folks who could take advantage?
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:41 am

I think that there should definitely be an upgrade kit for the dual drive.
It its quite possibly the most important upgrade there is, in fact I would go so far to say it should be part of every kit.
If Inventables adds a kit for the dual drive I think it would be good for everybody.

I do disagree with dointhangs about the upgrade "swapping" though.
I think it is important for people to build the stock machine and get it up and running before upgrading.
There are a lot of things to learn and figure out to have a usable CNC machine and there is nothing wrong with the stock Shapeoko.

If there is a check box on the order sheet to swap out parts I worry that people would end up with a machine that is too far from the standard for them to build and troubleshoot without serious help.
Also I think the ~$300.00 dollar price tag is a major selling point.
If you could add "this" and add "that" you could easily spend $700.00 or more. I know I have. :)

In summary: Upgrade kits=good. Part swapping in initial order=dangerous.
Of course since I sell the Z-Axis upgrade kit you should probably just ignore my opinion. :D
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

deejayspinz

Post by deejayspinz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:23 am

I'm still waiting for my ShapeOko mech kit, but I already took the plunge and pre-ordered the parts to make the dual drive (i have them now). I also plan on doing the dual X makerslide mod and got the extra parts for that as well. If these upgrade options were offered as add-ons I would have ordered as; a) I presume the price would be lower than the individual parts and b) the right parts would be pre-selected already, and c) we love options!

So, in short, good idea if the price is less than the sum of the parts.

loopingz

Post by loopingz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 am

I already bought new motors (and I paid tax like crazy on them), I still need to get some wheels and some mxl belt, but yes this upgrade is a must.
Shapeoko 1. Dual Y 1m with Name 17 (twice lower torque as the original motor). Double Xrails side to side. Acme-Z. Metalspacers.Wood 22mm waste board. Kress1050 with custom holder. Arduino GRBL + GRBL shield.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

From the small sample that I have, given the option to add dual Y drive and/or dual X rail to their eShapeOko kit at the time of ordering, everyone ordered dual-Y and more than four out of five ordered dual-X as well (the eShapeOko plates already have the holes for dual X rail).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

phlamingo

Post by phlamingo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 pm

I would absolutely love to have a single-click dual-Y upgrade option.

The only question is whether you can get it on the site before I am ready to order the parts individually.

-Phlamingo
---
ShapeOko Batch 2, Number 571, dual-Y motors, Y belts outside, odd anchors. Not operational at the moment: needs rewiring.

madmike88

Post by madmike88 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:00 pm

I went ahead and ordered the parts just after I ordered the kit. So, that would have been another yes.

bobt

Post by bobt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

This is one more yes for the add-on kit. Also for when you order but I would just raise a flag on the order screen that what they are ordering is NOT the basic kit and your mileage may vary about how much work / troubleshooting it could be.

Edward - since you are a Inventables what is the possibility of them selling an electronics only package. I have several other CNC machines that I am building and could really use the electronics portion of the ShapeOko to build them. IF it was just what they are currently selling with the full kit would be great and should help up their part order count to the next step. PLEASE!!!!!!!

Bob Teeter
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 pm

An electronics pack would fit in well with the rest of the Shapeoko related products we're planning to stock.

Are you thinking:
- Stepper motors (already in stock)
- grblShield or tinyG (available from synthetos.com)
- power supply
- stepper cable

Anything else?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock