Carbide Compact Router

DukeThomas

Carbide Compact Router

Post by DukeThomas » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 pm

I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and order an XXL. I've been using a friends XCarve and while it's been good to learn on its just not something I want to buy. I'd rather spend essentially the same for the sturdiness of the Shapeoko.

As you all know, when buying it you have the option for the Carbide Compact Router or to use the Dewalt or Makita trim routers they recommend. I've checked what I can on the specks of all three and while the info on the carbide compact router is somewhat sparse, they all seem to be about the same. Is it worth the effort or should I just default for the Dewalt or Makita rather then the Carbide Compact Router?

gmack

Re: Carbide Compact Router

Post by gmack » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:30 pm

DukeThomas wrote:I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and order an XXL. I've been using a friends XCarve and while it's been good to learn on its just not something I want to buy. I'd rather spend essentially the same for the sturdiness of the Shapeoko.

As you all know, when buying it you have the option for the Carbide Compact Router or to use the Dewalt or Makita trim routers they recommend. I've checked what I can on the specks of all three and while the info on the carbide compact router is somewhat sparse, they all seem to be about the same. Is it worth the effort or should I just default for the Dewalt or Makita rather then the Carbide Compact Router?
It appears that the Carbide Compact Router is a reduced performance copy of the Makita RT0700C. It's claimed power is 0.25 HP less and its parts list shows https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsit ... Manual.pdf that Makita part numbers 17-19 https://cdn.makitatools.com/apps/cms/do ... 01C_PB.pdf(which enable RPM sensing for closed loop speed control) have been omitted.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Carbide Compact Router

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:47 pm

The Carbide Compact Router is _not_ an MLCS Rocky 30.

It includes (by choice) the more expensive electronics board with feedback speed control.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)