Yet another set of DW660 mounting brackets (with files)

zapmaker

Yet another set of DW660 mounting brackets (with files)

Post by zapmaker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:44 am

I’ve installed a DW660 onto my Shapeoko and I’m very pleased with it – my Dremel would slow significantly when drilling straight down or when doing fast cuts, the DW660 goes at the same speed no matter what.

In the process, I designed a new set of mounting brackets, the files are included – these are different than the others as I am trying to get the unit as close as possible to the gantry because of its weight, and it will take extra effort to drill the two mounting holes [This is an "advanced" mounting bracket to make, explained below]. Also, the DW660 does not have a circular profile – I’ve designed the brackets to follow the cross-sectional profile of the unit. In fact, each bracket is slightly different in size and is composed of four arcs. The bottom bracket has a slightly larger diameter. The files that end with “segments” are the raw segments that can be changed, joined, etc. in CamBam. The ones that you want to mill, end with “unit” and are the joined segments. Also included are the gcode files.

So far I’ve run a long job against HDPE with very good results. I hope to try other materials and see how it goes, particularly curious about aluminum.

Some caveats if you are going DYI:
  • The files assume you have a Dremel-equivalent to mill the brackets (the feed rates should be fine for HDPE)
  • You must use HDPE or similar flexible plastic, otherwise you won’t be able to open the bracket enough to slide it over the power cord.
  • I used 12mm, not 10mm HDPE cutting board. I don’t recommend 10mm.
  • You will need to drill two pilot holes 20mm apart from the easy side, then use a forstner bit to a depth of no more than 2mm from the difficult side to allow the hex head to set inside and not hit the unit. This also ensures the screws are able to reach the nuts. The work with the forstner bit is tricky since you have to hold the bracket open with some kind of jig- be careful! – Finish the drilling the hole for the 5mm screws from the easy side. You may be able to fake it with a countersink instead of forstner bit. I put small washers under the hex head screws for better distribution of forces. Or just forget the forstner and modify the “segments” file to give you more room for the hex heads.
  • You will also need to drill holes into the clamp portion. If you can, clamp them together with something so they don’t slide so you get perfect hole alignment on both sides.
  • Because the bracket hole is not symmetrical X-to-Y, mounting is with the power cord facing to the left or right. This is intentional so that the power cord does not hit the Z-axis mechanism.
Note – there are other DW660 gcode files on this forum, please compare and decide which is right for you. For example: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&start=20

zapmaker
dw660-close-clamps-12mmHDPE.JPG
dw660-close-clamps-12mmHDPE.JPG (148.25 KiB) Viewed 6677 times
dw660-close-clamps-recessed-screws.JPG
dw660-close-clamps-recessed-screws.JPG (171.47 KiB) Viewed 6677 times

The upper clamp got slightly dinged when the bit reached the bottom and the part moved before I could stop the spindle.

The other blue parts are my work-in-progress limit switches using Sharp light sensors from Sparkfun. More on that later.

[EDIT: Added note about mounting orientation with power cord exiting left or right]
Attachments
dw660-closeclamp.zip
CamBam and gcode files
(7.97 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Shapeoko #668
Dual-Y axis, belts outside, DW660 | Author of Grbl Controller 3.0 | http://zapmaker.org

RGPFX

Re: Yet another set of DW660 mounting brackets (with files)

Post by RGPFX » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi.

Any chance of getting a CAD dwg file of this ? I might be able to have someone laser cut it.

Thanks,

RGP

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:55 pm

D/l the G-code.

Use http://code.google.com/p/gcode2eps/ to convert to .eps

Open the .eps in a tool such as InkScape, load into a program which will write out .dwg
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:19 am

RGPFX wrote:Hi.

Any chance of getting a CAD dwg file of this ? I might be able to have someone laser cut it.

Thanks,

RGP
Just so you know HDPE and UHMW do not cut well with a laser.
They melt back together if you go too fast and catch on fire if you go too slow.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

RGPFX

Post by RGPFX » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Improbable Construct wrote:
RGPFX wrote:Hi.

Thanks,

RGP
Just so you know HDPE and UHMW do not cut well with a laser.
They melt back together if you go too fast and catch on fire if you go too slow.

OK. Thanks!

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm using a variant of IC's mount that has a similarly narrow attachment strip, and it looks like the first things to flex under heavy load are the areas where those attachment strips meet the larger lateral portions of the mount. I'm thinking about trading off a little distance from the axis to get more thickness in that part of the mount. Or aluminum.

Have you noted any similar first points off failure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

tra

Post by tra » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Are there updated files for Shapeoko 2 or will these work? I haven't received my Shapeoko two yet, but want to start getting some projects lined up.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:00 pm

AIUI, the current files would result in a mounting which would bump into parts of the machine and interfere w/ Z-axis travel.

I guess we need to look at the drawings for the new version and work out the necessary clearances and get them documented somehow --- a CAD/CAM tutorial on drawing up spindle mounts would be a welcome addition to the wiki....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks for posting the files. Looks like a nice mount. I just started my build last night and will need to attach my dw660 sooner or later.
These pictures got me thinking, has anyone tried hose clamps to secure their dw660 or similar router? You would need to cut some slots or make some small mounting blocks for them to loop through, but that should give you a nice rigid mount that conforms to the shape of the router. Since I haven't actually assembled my Z axis yet, this probably isn't as simple as I'm imagining but might be worth a try.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:51 pm

The original ShapeOko used muffler clamps (I think it's still documented on the Parts page) and crash_n_burn used strapping w/ the universal mount to good effect (see the posts above the link below).

I used a hose clamp for the dust skirt of the dust shoe of my mount design for a Harbor Freight 1/4" Trim Router: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 797#p18386