DW 660 Problems

pagercam

Re: DW 660 Problems

Post by pagercam » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:46 am

danimal wrote:Yeah my girlfriend was almost in tears when I ran my first couple jobs with the 660 last weekend. It does sound like a jet set for takeoff.Then to add to it I bought one of those little shark vacs for my vacuum addition and the two of them together make my house loud enough to notice from the street. I just bought a set of earmuffs that have a headphone input and active noise canceling and now I am as happy as can be listening to music while milling. The girlfriend has not yet subscribed to this method of noise control so I might as well get the speed controller too in the interest of bliss.
Do the headphone reduce the sound of the girlfriend as well?? Might have to get some of those before the wife starts her next honey-do list.

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:39 am

potatotron wrote:
danimal wrote:...I just bought a set of earmuffs that have a headphone input and active noise canceling and now I am as happy as can be listening to music while milling....
I've been thinking about doing the same. What kind did you get? How much do you like them?

Thanks
I bought these because they had them at the local sporting goods store and there is a little 3mm plug so that you can listen to music. They are pretty good sound quality all things considered and I cannot hear the CNC at all.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1409048122 ... s&var=sbar
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:04 am

dointhangs wrote:Danimal I can tell you that I havent noticed my dw660 being anything more than warm to the touch even after running long jobs.
Really? Specifically the mill and the nut that you can touch on mine gets real hot real fast. I just bought that router speed controller and in the time that it took to test it out and map speeds at 15000 and 20000 RPM it was hot to the touch. I would say that it took all of two minutes. I ran a job that took about an hour yesterday and everything went alright. I could smell a faint burning smell, but I figured that I would go for broke and just let it finish or until the router broke. It actually got a little better by the end and the burning smell went away. It still gets hot really fast, but it seems to reach a max temperature and it stays there, so maybe it is just normal and I am being a little cautious.

A sidebar question, anyone that has the speed controller listed earlier in this thread, where does torque drop off noticeably? Just judging by sound it looks like it will drop off about 12000 RPM but the controller drops it down to much lower than that. I was just curious because I have not had time to play with it much and was just wondering what others had experienced.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 pm

It seems that the bearing, or something else near the shaft, suffers from excessive friction and heats up the shaft, nut, collet and tool. I don't think that's normal.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:32 am

Yes really , the nut and end mill are warm but not hot. You said in a post that you are sure that the air intakes are all free and not blocked by your mounts - if thats truly the case you may have to consider that your dewalt is jacked. These things are so inexpensive its not inconceivable one made it through qc. Some contractor just cutting drywall for a couple minutes at a time may not ever notice this. (I am expecting the dewalt to maybe last a year of medium use -somewhat disposable).
I have a 2.5hr job planned for tomorrow and I will check it again.
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:02 pm

I borrowed a infrared thermometer from work and I am going to do a running test just to see where my 660 temps out at. If it has a bad bearing I am going to be bummed out because the support on this item is not that great if you did not address the item within 90 days of buying it.
Shapeoko # 1458

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 pm

My DW660 gets fairly warm/hot at the collet bolt. We need to start doing some actual measurements so we can quantify this issue. That said, I have run the DW660 for a decent amount of time, maybe 100 hours, and it works great. For the price, I think it has done a great job.

Perhaps we need to find an improved bearing and upgrade it....

Also, is the DW660 suitable for hooking up to a PID controller?? Would be cool to have the RPM dialed in precisely. The router speed controller is ok, but does not compensate for when the bit comes under load.

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:26 pm

I was running my DW660 with a SuperPID speed controller.
Unfortunately my DW660 was mostly thrashed when I installed the SuperPID.
It really made it sound bad... You could hear the very unhappy bearings.
That being said, it is possible.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 pm

levlandau2 wrote:My DW660 gets fairly warm/hot at the collet bolt. We need to start doing some actual measurements so we can quantify this issue. That said, I have run the DW660 for a decent amount of time, maybe 100 hours, and it works great. For the price, I think it has done a great job.

Perhaps we need to find an improved bearing and upgrade it....

Also, is the DW660 suitable for hooking up to a PID controller?? Would be cool to have the RPM dialed in precisely. The router speed controller is ok, but does not compensate for when the bit comes under load.
I have the Speed controller that was mentioned earlier hooked up and it seems to work great, and makes it quite a bit quieter while running. Even at 25000 rpm it is noticeably quieter and the high pitch turbo jet sound is almost gone. I bought a little laser tachometer as well so I think that I am getting pretty accurate RPM values.

I will run a short job tonight when I get off of work and measure the temps before during and after to see if I can establish a rough heat-up rate and a max temperature. I do not hear any sounds that would indicate bearing damage and I am a certified motor vibration analysis tech through my work, though I have not hooked up the MVA accelerometer to it.
Shapeoko # 1458

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon May 06, 2013 11:08 am

So I temped out the 660 the other day. It started out at 70F running it for ten minutes it was at 98F under no load. So I ran it for a short job of about 15 minutes right after that and the temp reached 171 about half way through and stayed there for the remainder of the job. I think that it feels hotter than 171, and it was hard to get an accurate temp reading while it was operating because it was moving and so close to the works surface that the infrared thermometer was laying on its side and hard to align even when I used the laser designation.

This sound like it is normal? I don't want to replace it if I don't have to, but if it is just going to burn up here soon causing all kinds of run-out I might as well just buy something else and use this for its intended purpose when I remodel my kitchen this fall.
Shapeoko # 1458