DEWALT DWP611 VS MAKITA RT0700CX

Llamas

Re: DEWALT DWP611 VS MAKITA RT0700CX

Post by Llamas » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Improbable Construct wrote:I run my DWP611 at 25000 RPM all of the time.
Plastic, wood, foam, aluminum, doesn't matter 25000 RPM is the speed.
Honey Router doesn't give a ****, Honey Router's crazy!

Do the routers with integrated speed control keep their torque up at lower speeds? That's one thing that makes me look at moving to one of them from my externally adjusted DW660.

I've been looking at feeds and speeds a lot lately, and the numbers for MDF at high RPMs are really fast; faster than the ShapeOko could handle without flexing at anything but very shallow depths, and probably more than the DW660 can handle at low RPMs, a deeper cut, and the still high feed rate. None of this stops me, but I make a lot of dust when (I've read that) I should be making chips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:22 am

I'm not sure anything can make chips out of MDF. It just doesn't seem to work that way.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:53 am

Llamas wrote:
Honey Router doesn't give a ****, Honey Router's crazy!

Ha! that's funny!
Llamas wrote: Do the routers with integrated speed control keep their torque up at lower speeds? That's one thing that makes me look at moving to one of them from my externally adjusted DW660.

Some do some do not. The DWP611 is supposed to but I didn't try it before I ripped all that stuff out of it and installed the SuperPID sensor.
Llamas wrote: I've been looking at feeds and speeds a lot lately, and the numbers for MDF at high RPMs are really fast; faster than the ShapeOko could handle without flexing at anything but very shallow depths, and probably more than the DW660 can handle at low RPMs, a deeper cut, and the still high feed rate. None of this stops me, but I make a lot of dust when (I've read that) I should be making chips.

There are a cuple of things in that thought. First you are right most feeds and speeds that you find online are way to fast for a Shapeoko and way too slow for a router. They are for industrial size machines that weigh hundreds to thousands of pounds and have spindles with double digit HP ratings. As cvoinescu said you can't make chips out of dust. MDF is essentially pressed sawdust. You should be able to make chips in hard wood and acrylic fairly easily.
Llamas wrote: Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Just picked one of the makita RT0701C today and I have to say that I am impressed. The softstart is a nice feature and the speed control will be nice. Are there any other sources for 1/8th collets out there? I saw the ebay link earlier and I will probably get one of those, but I figured that I would check and see if any of you guys have found anything new over the year or so that this thread has been running.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 am

My SuperPID says it only spins about 29000 RPM at full speed so I take it down to 25000 to give it some headroom.
I've melted plastic sheet with it, so it's definitely possible to run the spindle too quickly. Or, looking at it another way, I'm just being a bit too careful with my feed rates ;)
Shapeoko #1501 - dual-y axis, double x gantry and a Makita RT0700CX spindle.

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:37 am

Just bought the Makita set RT0700CXJ3 with the various bases. Big drawback (I'm in Europe, NL) is the bad quality 8mm collet, which has an abhorrent fit, it is a flimsy single cut sleeve collet, and very small at that. No good hold of the 8 mm bit. Wrote to Makita about it, have not dared use it. I have only 8 mm bits (and some 12 but that's obviously a no-go. The 6 mm collet seems ok but is of no use to me, I have no use for 6 mm bits. martin

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Fortunately, the Makita RT0700C (regardless of which bases you opt for) comes with a 6.35 mm (1/4") collet in the UK. Unfortunately, I have called Makita and they confirmed that the units sold in other European countries have a different motor armature, collet seat and collet nut, so metric (6 mm and 8 mm) collets are not compatible with the imperial (6.35 mm) unit sold in the UK, and vice-versa. The 8 mm collet is a bit of a joke, indeed, but the 6 mm and 6.35 mm ones are good. No 3.175 mm (1/8") collet is available from Makita, and I haven't been able to find one that fits without modification. Some generic air grinder 1/8" collets almost fit.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

criznach

Post by criznach » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:03 am

I just got the RT0701C this weekend and I must say I love it! It's been very versatile so far. I milled mounts from cutting board yesterday, then did some v-groove cutting in pine. Then today I moved on to a dust shoe from acrylic. Learning learning learning!

wlanfox

Post by wlanfox » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:03 am

I was reading trough out the post; an did notice no one mention a source for precision collets, both the dewalt and makita could do better the stock collets. Specially if your looking to do precise work. One place I seen mention before on other threads is ...

http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/ColletsNutsHome.htm

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:56 pm

You could always try a 1/4 to 1/8 collet adapter. This seems to be the only decent option for the Makita to do 1/8in. Good news is that they are rather cheap, but the would most likely be way worse for runout than a precision collet specifically made for 1/8. Maybe that's all you need.

I've only had time to do a few things, but I can say the Makita at lowest setting is actually relatively quite, and sounds a bit more like a jet engine at the highest setting. I'm really glad I didn't end up buying one with only one speed setting. My housemates are a lot happier too, I'm guessing.