DEWALT DWP611 VS MAKITA RT0700CX

danimal

Re: DEWALT DWP611 VS MAKITA RT0700CX

Post by danimal » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:35 pm

So I called Makita about the 763626-6 collet that they use in various other tools to esquire if it would work in the RT0700 and they were unable to tell me if it would or not and did not have access to the dimensions. I think that they should have access to that information which disappointed me, but I had another option. I had the local hardware store order one and then compared it to the stock 1/4 inch collet and they are way different. It is way too small to work in the RT0700 if anyone else finds it and is wondering.

I am going to order the cheapo one off of ebay that was listed earlier and give that a go. I just bought 10 new endmills before my DW 660 burned up so it would be a bummer if I had nothing to use them in. I have read a lot about the collet adapters and it sounds like they would be fine as long as they are properly seated, and should only increase run-out minimally. Some places actually recommended turning them as a method for countering run-out on the larger collet. I will order one of those too just to see if there is any truth to that.

In the mean time I ordered some 1/4 diameter endmills to run jobs. Talk about an upgrade, I cut through everything like butter, and the material removal for large pockets is soooo much faster. I am glad that I went this route.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:42 pm

The Makita 763626-6 collet does not work with the RT0700C. I bought one: it's a lot smaller than what the RT0700C needs.

And yes, you'll find that the 1/4" bits have quite a lot more bite. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:12 pm

I found this little collet adapter on amazon and figured I would give it a shot. It seems solid, well made and when I put it on I could see no apprediable increase in run-out. It looked actually a little less than the run-out I was seeing previously but I was measuring two different end mills (a 1/4 shank with the stock collet and a 1/8 now with the reducer) so I assume that would affect the results. Also my dial indicator is not that great, so I am going to borrow one from work next week when I have everything all set up.

Here is the link to the part if anyone is interested:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015Y ... UTF8&psc=1

Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

Threefer

Post by Threefer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:49 am

These routers are avaliable at Home Depot for $99. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1-1-4 ... /204247210 I was able to fit mine on the stock mounts by removing the cross straps and just tightening the bolts which are a tight enough fit that they force the router body inwards and back into the mounts. It feels very secure but not sure if vibration will have an effect. I will have to put spacers behind the mounts to push the router farther out because it hits the Z motor mount plate. I'll try and get a picture of it posted tomorrow.

This is my first post here but I've been lurking for awhile. I have had my stock Shapeoko 2 finished for awhile now and will start upgrading everything. Next will be ACME Z upgrade once they are in stock again.
Last edited by Threefer on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
---------------------------------------------------
Shapeoko# 3456, Makita RT0701c. Stock size for now but have 13"x13" travel by trimming down belt clamps and lip on smooth idler. Dovetailed wooden track clamping setup. Dust shoe in works.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:23 am

Threefer wrote:I was able to fit mine on the stock mounts by removing the cross straps and just tightening the bolts which are a tight enough fit that they force the router body inwards and back into the mounts. It feels very secure but not sure if vibration will have an effect.
I'd be worried about:

- scuffing / dinging the housing
- vibration working things loose

You should have room for some strapping at a minimum which crash_n_burn used to mount his harbor Freight 1/4" Trim Router: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 824#p13797 --- the typical thing though is to use the stock spindle to cut new mounts --- I drew up a set w/ dust shoe farther down, and could probably manage w/ just the two copies of the top mount (left-most piece) after adjusting for the diameter / shape of the router (may be close enough to use as-is), if all you wanted was to mount it (though dust collection is a huge improvement).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:54 am

Here is my Makita mounted with the 65mm spindle mount from eBay (purchased from goodlucksell for $24 shipped!)

This trim router seems quite powerful & I cant wait to finally cut something with it, especially with the built in speed control. The mount is very solid and I had to drill new holes in the mounting plate. The mount only came with 4 long M5 fasteners, & I used M5 nuts & washers I had previously purchased from Inventables.
The mount did not come with a bolt for clamping down on the router either, but was also an M5 thread. What I ended up doing was recycling one of the stock spindle mounting bolts, threaded a nut & tightened it down with thread locker, then using a drill & file I rounded down the nut to create a stepped fastener as pictured. This is now my clamping bolt.

You will notice that the mount looks cast & not milled, while the pictures of the item being sold on eBay are clearly a milled part. Does this matter? Probably not because this mount is ridiculously stout and took more effort than it should have to clamp down the spindle. If you look close in the pics the mount does have a few dings, which tells me the aluminum is pretty soft, but it took some effort to get the spindle clamped down with only a single bolt

& here are a few more pics of how I mounted the mount.

I think I have my machine setup and aligned pretty well, almost ready to crank out a test cut, but today I tested the Z axis & found it was not missing any steps while moving this large router. Setting it on the bed & doing a straight 2" climb followed by a 2" drop, after multiple times the bit stopped right at the bed, not higher or ever hitting the bed, telling me that it lost zero steps in the countless 2" movements.
SO2 + Makita RT0700C

criznach

Post by criznach » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 am

Wow that thing's beefy! Enough room for the delrin nut behind it?

Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:09 am

I positioned the mount low on the spindle mounting plate & used the higher holes to secure the delrin nut, that way I can now undo the 2 bolts from the delrin nut & the Z assembly will drop right off. But not too low on the mount so I can still use the eccentric nut to adjust the V wheels. It fit almost perfectly.
SO2 + Makita RT0700C

Audiophyle

Post by Audiophyle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 am

First cut with Makita and doing a Circle/Diamond/Square test. The difference in precision and power is significant, and that is with a collet adapter running an 1/8" bit in the 1/4" collet.

Shot a quick video to show how effortlessly it cuts through acrylic. This was with a 16in/min feed, 0.08" step down, and the Makita is running at its slowest setting. Still need to experiment with feed & spindle speeds, and I think I can speed up both quite a bit.
SO2 + Makita RT0700C

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:05 am

cvoinescu wrote: And yes, you'll find that the 1/4" bits have quite a lot more bite. :)
Hmm, I actually have collets for 1/4" and 8mm (5/16" ?) for the Kress, but so far have not got the guts to use them.. :?
Couldn't there be a danger of ripping the whole Shapeoko apart or at least start some serious vibrations?
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.