Recommendation for End Mill and Dw660

jkanzaki

Recommendation for End Mill and Dw660

Post by jkanzaki » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Hello All,
I am pretty new to CNC and I've been having hard time choosing which end mill for the DW660. Also where will be a good source for buying end mill that wouldn't break my bank? ;)
Which end mill do you generally need for your dw660 (both 1/8 and 1/4) since there are so many type out there. I would like to do plastic milling and aluminum milling.

Thanks Guys
Shapeoko 1 - dissassemble
Shapeoko 2 - 1 x 1m expansion TinyG, superPid, Dw660, Aluminum extrusion bed, Nema 23, acme, Z axis upgrade, Dual Y
Shapeoko 3 - 0051 Stock Dw611, SuperPid, limit switch, 9mm belt

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Recommendation for End Mill and Dw660

Post by WillAdams » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:57 pm

There's some information in the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/End_mills

but I'd really like to see it expanded upon.

There's been some discussion on the forums, but little consensus, though ISTR Edward R. Ford suggesting that one just use a basic 2 flute 1/8" straight endmill to start until one reaches its limits.

Drillman1 on eBay is often used as a supplier, and Inventables does have some in stock --- not sure what the situation is in Europe....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Definitely Drillman1 on eBay.
His prices makes it a decent alternative even for us living in Europe.

$4 for a 2flute endmill? Mark me up for 2... And a couple of other sizes... and... and...

Even picked up a set of PCB drills. ;-)

I haven't even gotten my kit, yet, and I'm already buying lots of expensive bits for it.
This is going to be an expensive hobby...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

jkanzaki

Post by jkanzaki » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 pm

WillAdams wrote:There's some information in the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/End_mills

but I'd really like to see it expanded upon.

There's been some discussion on the forums, but little consensus, though ISTR Edward R. Ford suggesting that one just use a basic 2 flute 1/8" straight endmill to start until one reaches its limits.

Drillman1 on eBay is often used as a supplier, and Inventables does have some in stock --- not sure what the situation is in Europe....

I agree with you, especially for someone new to Cnc like me. I really hope to find a in depth tutorial on end mill. For example, their characteristics on each materials, their limitation. Etc etc.

Thanks for the info though really appreciated.
Shapeoko 1 - dissassemble
Shapeoko 2 - 1 x 1m expansion TinyG, superPid, Dw660, Aluminum extrusion bed, Nema 23, acme, Z axis upgrade, Dual Y
Shapeoko 3 - 0051 Stock Dw611, SuperPid, limit switch, 9mm belt

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:00 am

AIUI, considerations are:

- material --- for plastic shouldn't matter much, for aluminum, avoid coatings which would make chips stick
- # of flutes --- determines the size of the chips you make, interacts w/ speed and feed to determine surface finish
- diameter --- determines how fine a detail you can cut, or how efficiently you can cover a large area

There is some mention of mills on the materials page: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Materials

w/ a 2 flute 1/8" endmill being used successfully for both materials.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:57 am

Didn't want to create a new thread for this question and this one looks like a good fit.

Yesterday I bought a used dw660 and it came with a good number and variety of roto zip brand bits. Can I use these drywall and tile bits or should I not even waste my time and buy a proper fluted end mill? I've been modeling some small electronics boxes for various bare pcbs and these will be some of my first projects. One is a bare ta2020 amplifier PCB which needs some properly positioned holes for power jack, RCA in, speaker terminals, etc. I think PVC or abs are the cheapest plastics on McMaster so I figured I'd start with those materials.

I'm currently waiting on my buildlog.net shield kit and mechanical shapeoko kit so I get to spend all my time thinking of questions rather than experimenting.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:19 pm

I've been wondering that myself.

The Rotozip / drywall bits are:

- center cutting (so one can do plunge cuts)
- really long compared to typical endmills
- manufactured to take at least moderate side loads (cutting through dry wall)
- cheap

It's those last points which worry me --- I suspect that such bits won't be able to take the stresses of being used by a machine in harder materials or at faster speeds --- see recent posts by I.C. about some bargain extra long end mills which he picked up which would break off in foam.

Put on sturdy clothing, wear gloves and safety glasses, make sure nothing breakable is nearby and try one in the softest material you're planning on cutting at the lowest possible feed rate and see how it goes --- you should be able to mitigate risk to the point where the worst thing that could happen is a broken bit, and to be honest, we should all, always plan for that eventuality.

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks Will. It may be a while before I get to test these personally but ill set up a shield around the shapeoko, probably a large cardboard box. I appreciate your safety tips and concerns.

A couple of the bits are 1/4" heavy duty duracut rz250. They don't say they are for wood or plastic though. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000224P5

I'm probably a month away from having all parts if the instructables lead time estimates are correct. So for the sake of being prepared ill get some proper end mill bits, going to check out drillman1 on eBay now. I'm planning some desktop speaker cabinet and single subwoofer box projects and want to be able to cut at least 3/4" MDF as well.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:12 pm

I wouldn't even bother with the drywall RotoZip bits. Get a proper solid carbide endmill -- in 1/8", they're not expensive. A two-flute endmill will cover most jobs. I've been getting mine from drillman1 on eBay, and there have been several people on this forum with the same recommendation.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Good to know. I was just browsing that eBay store and will place an order soon. Thanks for the insight.
What about the guide point bits, would they work OK for engraving? I must find some use for them!
Shapeoko2 #3702: