Cau Cau 850w £45!

Gravebond

Cau Cau 850w £45!

Post by Gravebond » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:22 pm

I have been looking to upgrade the dremel knock-off from the standard shapeoko kit for ages but have been running into difficulty finding the right spindle. I have been looking at the Makita r700 and also the Trend T4ek which both seem like good options (if a little heavy) but i have just stumbled across thislittle bargain on ebay.
At £45 the specs seem fantastic:

Max Motor HP: 850W
Voltage: 230V / 50Hz
No Load RPM: 11500-32000
Diameter : 44mm
Diameter total: 70mm
Length: 270 mm

Offer Includes:
Motor Unit
Aluminium Fixed Base
Aluminium Plunge Base
Collet : 6mm + 8 mm
Key
2 x Brush

On the Ebay listing you can also buy an aluminium spindle mount
and a 3.175mm (1/8'') collar adaptor for an extra 12euros. Making the whole package about £55!

Shipping is a further £9.

My point is that even if this thing doesn't have a particularly fantastic lifespan, at £55 you can't really go wrong.
It looks like a massive upgrade over the dremel knock-off. What do you folks think??
Shapeoko 1st gen owner - Dual motor Y-axis . Double makerslide X-axis . 1.5m Y-axis . eShapeoko motor plates . 850w Spindle .

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Cau Cau 850w £45!

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Wow! Wonder why it's not available on eBay.com (U.S.) --- surely a second version for 110 couldn't be that hard to work up.

850 Watts puts it up there w/ the Dewalt DWP-611.

A search reveals a .eu site and a lot of other stuff --- let us know how it works out, and add a line to the Spindle Options table once you've tried it out.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Gravebond

Post by Gravebond » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Took the plunge and ordered mine (with the aluminium holder and collar). Should be here in a week or so, I am pretty excited! The shapeoko would probably be able to handle this from stock but I have already upgraded my machine to dual motor Y axis and dual x axis with openRail on the back of the makerslide providing 2 rails for an extra set of V-Wheels. Hopefully I will be able to mill aluminium with this set up :)
Shapeoko 1st gen owner - Dual motor Y-axis . Double makerslide X-axis . 1.5m Y-axis . eShapeoko motor plates . 850w Spindle .

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:16 pm

I don't think a stock ShapeOko could handle 850 Watts of spindle --- I think Dual Makerslide X-axis is pretty much a requirement for the more powerful spindles --- actually, it's such an affordable upgrade I wish it'd be standard.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

Gravebond

Post by Gravebond » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm

I opted for a different approach to the dual makerslide due mainly to the fact that the motor plates that came with my shapeoko do not have the appropriate holes pre- drilled in them to accommodate another length of makerslide on the x-axis. I could drill the holes myself but I would probably mess it up and end up with a wonky gantry. So my approach has been to buy 2 lengths of OpenRail the same length as the x-axis makerslide (375mm stock). Then attach those to the front of the existing x-axis makerslide to form a double railed gantry. All that is required then is another set of 4 V-wheels/ bearings and to cut down the spacers to 12mm.
It does the same thing as the double makerslide at the same price or less and takes a lot less effort if you have the same batch motor plates as me :D

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Drilling the holes isn't that hard --- I just clamped the two plates together offset by the proper width and drilled the holes w/ a drill.

While Openrail is very cool, I don't think adding just the length of rail, as opposed to the thicker/wider extrusion is quite the same --- but does have the advantage of not losing so much working area --- I really wish we could have an on-line model of a ShapeOko w/ a finite element analysis feature --- having cvoinescu and Improbably Construct around is as good if not better and I'm sure one of them will be along to set me straight presently.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:07 pm

It's not quite as good, but it's definitely an improvement over the stock configuration. The smaller wheel base means the leverage is less favorable than the back-to-back MakerSlide arrangement. My feeling is that OpenRail is not as rigid as MakerSlide, because it can flex away from the supporting extrusion, especially midway between the fasteners. I have yet to test this formally, though.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Gravebond

Post by Gravebond » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:27 pm

cvoinescu wrote:It's not quite as good, but it's definitely an improvement over the stock configuration. The smaller wheel base means the leverage is less favorable than the back-to-back MakerSlide arrangement. My feeling is that OpenRail is not as rigid as MakerSlide, because it can flex away from the supporting extrusion, especially midway between the fasteners. I have yet to test this formally, though.
The OpenRail is fastened every 50mm so there isn't much if any room for flex really. It works really well so far. I have yet to test it with a heavier spindle though, but when my cau cau 850 arrives I shall put it through its paces. I am going to order some aluminium spacers to replace the nylon ones from the stock kit to help stiffen things a little more.

Has anybody else tried one of the aforementioned spindle?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 am

Gravebond wrote:The OpenRail is fastened every 50mm so there isn't much if any room for flex really.
I am aware of that -- it's actually every 50.8 mm (2") -- but that doesn't change my point. I guess I'll see when I have time to run some formal measurements, hopefully soon.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

selektha

Post by selektha » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:28 am

Have you tested you CauCau yet?
I am really interested in hear what you have to say about it and if it is really an alternative to a kress/makita/dewalt version.