Dewalt DNP611 as an option?

orangezero

Dewalt DNP611 as an option?

Post by orangezero » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:27 pm

I couldn't find anyone who has tried this. This DNP611 is a replacement motor for the DWP611 compact router. Here is the description of what is included:

The DNP611 includes:

One (1) DeWalt Compact Router Motor (only)
One (1) Collet Nut
One (1) Collet Wrench
One (1) 1/4" Collet
(Power Cord Included and Attached)

So, my understanding is that the only downside to getting this would be losing out on the base that is included when you purchase the entire package (DWP611). I've seen some places where the DNP is almost the same price, but some sell it for $30-50 less than the router package. I would think some people would be okay with that. Sorry if I missed someone else discussing this, but my searches came up empty.

It is my understanding that the DWP611/DNP611 motor has some type of built in variable speed (to some degree) and is a bit quieter than most other options. I've seen it as low as $83 if you look on google/ebay/etc. This seems to compete nicely with a cheaper spindle/trim router that one adds a cheap variable speed controller to.

The additional caution seems to be the stock shapeoko perhaps being a bit unstable for such a heavy motor.

I've seen some 1/8 collett adapters for $5, but haven't found any extended use discussions or reviews. Do they just work fine so no need to comment?

Improbable Construct

Re: Dewalt DNP611 as an option?

Post by Improbable Construct » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:37 pm

If you are going to get the DWP611 and never use it for anything except the spindle on your shapeoko then the DNP611 will be fine.
I wouldn't put it on a stock machine, but people have.
I don't like collet adapters. Its one more thing to go wrong and/or introduce runout.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:52 am

Improbable Construct wrote:If you are going to get the DWP611 and never use it for anything except the spindle on your shapeoko then the DNP611 will be fine.
I wouldn't put it on a stock machine, but people have.
I don't like collet adapters. Its one more thing to go wrong and/or introduce runout.
I. C.:
What do you recommend beefing up on a stock SO2 to help take the weight of the DNP611?
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:21 pm

There are lots of threads on this, most common relate to bolting the 2 rails togetherness or adding a stiffener plate. It runs ok on a stock machine but I won't be doing it long term. I seem to have V wheels loosening more than I think should be and have to slow down feed rates to improve accuracy. Great spindle but heavy for a stock SO2. I bought the precision collet and find the improvement to be significant. Personally I would not use a collet adapter.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Just to chime in, my DNP611 has no noticeable runout. I can run 1/4" 30 degree V-bits and the point makes perfect, tiny holes if I just touch the surface of the material. For 1/8" bits I use a cheap, $5.00 1/4" --> 1/8" adapter and, again, have no measurable runout. My bits (down to 0.063") cut a path exactly as wide as they should out to the third decimal place.

This is my first DNP611 (although I've had it for a year), but I threw on a 3-year "you find a way to break it, we'll replace it" plan, so I'll let you know how the second DNP611 turns out if I ever have to cash that in.

I just wanted to post this in case someone decided to shy away from it thinking that they will need a precision collet. It may vary from router to router, but there are good copies out there.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:09 pm

While the collet adapters demonstrably work (I used one in my HF 1/4" Trim Router for a while), they introduce an additional point of variation and potential failure.

An additional nice thing about the Precise BIts Collet is the industry-standard ER-11 support, which I kind of envy having just the Ellaire Corp. 1/8" adapter for my Makita.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:39 pm

I bought a DNP611 on Amazon for a pretty good price. I also bought the PreciseBits collet kit for it.

I'm still waiting on some motor mounts and plates that I sent out for manufacture before I rebuild my Z-axis with the DeWalt.

You can see my design here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4740
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:07 am

After reviewing the addition of a DNP611 in my CAD assembly, it's showing that the Z axis travel will be drastically reduced. The upper bearing plate on the Z axis will need to be trimmed so that it doesn't extend so far to eliminate interference with the top of the spindle.
Is this what other 611 users have done or are there other options? I do have 4 NEMA23 motors so perhaps this is a good time to switch to one on my Z axis but I wasn't planning on going this route. I can be persuaded, though.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

pepik

Post by pepik » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:40 am

I have the 660 and face a similar issue. I stumbled across this Instructible to resolve it, I wouldn't be surprised if it would fix your issue as well.
Shapeoko 2 #7266
DW660 spindle
Upgraded wasteboard
Drag Chains

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:08 am

I think the problem with extending the spindle mount out is that you reduce the torque required to twist the gantry, which can lead to errors or failed cuts, and might have other long-term implications. You'll almost certainly want to think about rigidity modifications if you're going to go that route with the DNP611 (DW611), which has quite a bit of torque, especially when it's spinning up.

The off-the-shelf solution to gain that extra Z-axis travel is to move the Z-axis stepper motor back so it sits over the X-axis gantry out of the way of the Z-axis slider. That's the purpose of the Z-axis belt drive upgrade kit:
http://shop.shapeoko.com/collections/fr ... z-axis-kit

That kit only works with the ACME screw, so you'll need to buy this, too. Or you'll need to create your own.
http://shop.shapeoko.com/collections/fr ... -upgrade-1
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender