DW660 Mods

Improbable Construct

DW660 Mods

Post by Improbable Construct » Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Since my crappy rotary tool burned up I decided to get a DW660 to use as my spindle.
This thing is bad ass! I do have a couple of issued with it though.

Things I like:
5 amps
30,000 rpm
3.2 lbs
1/8" and 1/4" collets
Big off switch on top

Things I don't like:
Tool free bit change collar
Position of shaft lock

So, most of my dislikes came from the tool free bit change feature.
It works really well when you have the tool in your hands but, not so much when you are trying to change the bit when it is mounted on a ShapeOko. It is hard to get in there and hold the bit in place and push two buttons and twist the collet tight.
So, I went ahead and took it apart to see if i could make it work with out the tool free part.
It takes a T15 bit to remove the 4 screws holding the front of the tool together.

WARNING:
You have to hold the tool with the collet UP. If you don't, the entire rotor can fall out of the tool and requires total dis-assembly to re-install. Also don't forget to remove the collet nut and don't pull on the rotor shaft while removing the cover!

Once you have removed the 4 screws and the collet nut, the front of the tool comes right off. Then you can remove the snap ring and the tool free collet tightener drops off.
At this point you can also twist the insides 90 degrees to put the shaft lock on the side with the DeWALT logo.
Removal gives you more room under the tool and makes it much easier to use.
I now use a 5/8" wrench to tighten the collet and the stock button to hold the shaft.
ShapeOko 006 (Large).jpg
ShapeOko 006 (Large).jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
Here is what it looks like put back together and mounted on the tool.

EDITED: See warning above!
Last edited by Improbable Construct on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

CptanPanic

DW660 Mods

Post by CptanPanic » Tue May 22, 2012 2:44 am

Looks nice.

Max Metz

Re: DW660 Mods

Post by Max Metz » Tue May 22, 2012 1:58 pm

It does look good, its looking pretty wicked there IC.

How's the accuracy with the beefier router fitted, does the router clamped to the z axis increase or decrease the rigidity? Thanks in anticipation. :D

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 pm

It looks like the mounts worked out just fine. Did you have any problems making them? I like the Red color too btw. What material is it? Looks like HDPE but I can't be certain.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Tue May 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Max Metz wrote: How's the accuracy with the beefier router fitted, does the router clamped to the z axis increase or decrease the rigidity? Thanks in anticipation. :D
The accuracy looks good. The extra amperage makes for a huge upgrade over a Dremel type tool. I was cutting through pine 2mm deep with a 1/4" 4 flute end mill at 3000mm/min. As for rigidity, I don't see much of a change. There is still some wobble in the x to z axis. When I dropped the the depth to 4mm I got a lot of chatter and uneven cuts when transferring from the +x direction to the +y direction. I am going to see what I can do about that this week, and will start a new thread if I can make it better.
edwardrford wrote:It looks like the mounts worked out just fine. Did you have any problems making them? I like the Red color too btw. What material is it? Looks like HDPE but I can't be certain.

-Edward
The mounts are great. Thanks for the files. I hope more people use them, the DW660 rocks. I had to cut the first set out with a jigsaw because my knockoff Dremel died. They were ugly but worked good enough to make the pair on there now. I ruined two of them, I broke one opening it up to put the DW660 in, and one came loose from its hold down during cutting and got all chewed up before I could hit the E Stop.
I believe it is HDPE, It was the only cutting board they sell at the local Ralphs grocery store. It just happened to be red. :D
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Wed May 23, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks IC, sounds like its as good as it looks - its a great testament to the design that it is able to cope with the Dewalt trim router at all. I look forward to your updates, best regards. :D

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 am

Wow, finally completed the mod mentioned in the original post of this thread. Really good mod, removing the tightening collar opens up the tool and it is much easier to tighten the collar with a wrench. Also the 90 degree rotation of the frame component is great for opening up the left side of the tool so a shop vac can be zip tied there :-).

Thanks much Improbably Construct, great ideas!!!

This also opens up the possibility to press in a ring magnet on the shaft and use it with a hall sensor for RPM measurement. The shaft is isolated from GND so this makes the automatic touch plate connection difficult, but could a brush or metal under tension connect to the shaft and be used for the touch plate calibration??

Also, DW660 has to be the best overall spindle for the Shapeoko!!!

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:58 am

Hello,

I plan to change my rotary tool to use the DW660. Does it have a variable speed ? I know this might bre pretty important when milling. Too high RPM can be as bad as not enough.
Any thoughts on that ?

Beside, the Dremel 300 I have is a 125W tool. How much is the DW660. I can't find anything regarding the power. Thanks

Thanks
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 am

Americans tend to use "amps" to rate mains-powered power tools; in the UK, where both 240 V and 110 V tools are used (110 V isolation transformers are used on construction sites, where tools can get wet), power tools are rated in watts. Power (watts, HP) is a better measurement in general, because it can be compared directly between tools that use various voltages (including DC, and single-phase and three-phase AC); the current (amps) is relevant only if the voltage is known.

The DeWalt DW660 is rated 5 A (at 120 V), so 600 W.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 am

Great ! thanks for the answer.
And what about the variable speed ??
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380